New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Manual #5. Observations and Musings
 Login/Join

<Don Martin29>
posted
I opened the carton from Midway today and my new Nosler manual was there. It got me wondering.

1. Is my chronograph wrong? I have found that with the 30/06 and 180 gr bullets that the various rifles that I have owned for that great and standard cartridge would take a lot more imr 4350 than Nosler suggests before pressure signs got hot. But the velocities were always just below 2,800 fps just like the velocity they got.

2. Those super .30 Magnums look like a waste of recoil and powder and the .300 Winchester Magnum looks like the optimum case size. The 300 Rem. Ultra Magnum only gets about 100 to 150 fps more with 180 or even 200 gr bullets. We used to call that overbore capacity.

3. Certain new cartridges were omitted. Is this a policy for what will survive or not? Of course the .300 WSM is in there and it's catching on but the 7mm WSM did not make the book but the 7mm SAUM did. The .270 WSM made the book also. I am looking at the 7mm WSM and as a future cartridge for fun and it does not get any play. I am disappointed at that.

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Don I would have liked to have seen some 7mm Dakota data too but.....If they tried to accomodate all of our wants they would still be working on it. I was surprised how close their accuracy laods where to what I had been coming up with for the 300WSM. Unfort. they used a 26" test tube though....most of the ones being sold including the customs are shorter....I still like the format better than anything else on the market. Ole lady is already jealous of the dang thing...

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Don-

I too was struck by how little improvement the 300 short magnums and various ultra magnums seem to offer. I'm glad I have my 300 Win Mag.

The 375 RUM has some impressive numbers but given the recoil I'd rather shoot a 400 grain bullet.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please does anybody know: is data included for 9.3x62, 9.3x74R, 6.5-06 ( future project? ) and 8x68S?

Thanx, Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
I spent more time with it after my post above and was suprised that they didnt try burning any Ramshot Products....?

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Yes there is data on the 9.3 X 62, 9.3 X 74R and 6.5 X 06 but not for the 8 X 68. I know Vitavouri has data on it but only with their powder.