Find
Notify
Tools

P14 303 British
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted
I was just wondering what accuracy can one get out of a P14 303, mine is gone get a another barrel, taken from another P14 military rifle. What can one expect from these military barrels and what should I look out for

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one a few years ago that would put 5 180g bullets into less than an inch. The 150's sprayed all over. I should have kept it.

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flip,

I don't see any reason that you can't get MOA type accuracy with that rifle if it is properly bedded, etc. The P14 is a great rifle, although it is considerably heavier than an SMLE. The best thing about the P14 is that you can convert it to a .303 Epps and have a rifle that is every bit of a .30-06, yet can still fire .303 British in a pinch. Those 215 gr. Woodleighs at 2400 fps would be a dynamite bushveld round.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
potential for great accuracy. i had a sporterized one some years ago. killed my best whitetail with it. mine would shoot hand-loaded hornady 150s sub moa. donated it to a church auction. still miss it.

speaking of p14s, i ran across its american brother at a favorite shop. it's the model 1917, in .30-'06, of course. rear bridge professionally milled, lyman 66 peep professionally mounted, original front sight. all metal beautifully polished and blued; mint bore; shortened original stock; walnut is straight-grained, well finished. remington manufacture. i can get it for less than $200.

it can't be returned to military full dress because of the milling, so i smell a project rifle, not that i would have to much besides further slimming the forearm, shortening and crowning barrel, and mounting a ramp and white-line blade.

then again, i could cobble up a remington model 30 or 720 style stock. hmmm. i don't need this rifle. but i don't have a .30-'06. seems, shall we say, un-american to be without. aarrgghh!

Posts: 298 | Location: birmingham, alabama | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote