Find
Notify
Tools

.38-55 help me choose a bullet DIA.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Yesterday I bought a .38-55 H&R "target" rifle. They have changed the primitive weapons rules here in Mississippi. Now you don't need a muzzle loader anymore, you can use a metallic cartridge rifle as long as it is breech loaded, has an exposed hammer, is .38 caliber or over and is an original or reproduction of a pre-1900's firearm. The H&R fit all the above criteria and was least expensive option out there.

Need a little help picking a bullet for my new .38-55 . I bought a box of Winchester .38-55's with the rifle and stuck one of the bullets in at the muzzle and there was so much space it rattled. Next I got out a box of .375 bullets I use to reload for my .375 H&H and dropped one down the barrel, it slid out the other end without any resistance!

I slugged the barrel this morning (just the muzzle end) and it mics out at .380 Given that, what bullet would you choose? They make .380 cast bullets, but do I need to allow for expansion when the gun is fired? The .38-55 is all new to me. It has variables I've never had to deal with when reloading.

Thanks!
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that the 220gn Hornady shot well in my Winchester commemorative .
Haven't got it any more so can't mike any bullets for you .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta love those 38-55 dimensions.

Your problem is common. Most of the old black powder cartridges were originally loaded with soft, undersize bullets. The undersized bullets chambered reliably in a fouled barrel, and black powder obturated the soft bullet to fit the barrel.

You would think that manufacturers would revise the outdated dimensions to be compatible with modern 375 bullets and smokeless powder, but no, that would be way too logical.

Here's the rub -- the chamber dimensions were also designed for undersize bullets. If you try loading a 0.381" bullet, you may find that the diameter of the cartridge neck is too big to fit in the chamber. Maybe, maybe not, it varies from rifle to rifle.

To answer you question, shoot 0.381" if they will chamber. Otherwise, do like grandpa did and shoot pure lead or 30:1 alloy and hope it will obturate.

I would not buy a 38-55 for that reason. Nothing inherently wrong with the cartridge, but why fight the goofy dimensional problems?

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The SAAMI specs are all wrong for the 38-55.

http://www.leverguns.com/dimensions/images/3855.jpg

Nottice the bullet diameter is supposed to be less than bore diameter. They made your rifle according to the agreed upon specs. Problem is that the chamber will probably not accept a bullet of bore diameter. That will make your rifle incapable of shooting cast bullets. You can get the chamber reamed out larger to accept cartridges with larger bullets. Seems to me you should not have to fix a new rifle. My thought here, take the rifle back and get a 45-70 or something else with useable dimensions. This thing is only going to give you hours or frustration and grief.

I used to be fascinated with a 38-55. I wanted a M1894 rifle in that caliber. It would go well with my '86 in 45-70 and 30-30 '94. If I ever own one it will be a put together rifle. I want a .375" bore. You can buy .375" octagonal barrels. I could put one on a Marlin or a ratty Winchester. This way I will have a rifle that has accuracy potiental.

The 38-55 target rifles were custom rigs with all this stuff worked out. They were the unlimited bench rest rifles of their day. I think the 38-55 got it's accuracy reputation based on those custom rifle made by Harry Pope and others. I can't see how a production rifle with an oversized bore will ever shoot very well.

One option you may have is to use pure lead cast bullets, SPG lube and black powder. That will probably give OK accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
popenmann,

I think were were channeling each other as we wrote!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by popenmann:
I would not buy a 38-55 for that reason. Nothing inherently wrong with the cartridge, but why fight the goofy dimensional problems?

I completely agree. I would never mess around with the .38-55 but given the circumstances it seemed like a best option for my needs. I've never liked muzzle loading and this is a dream come true! I ruled out the 45-70 real quick because of it's rainbow like trajectory, then gave some serious thought to a 45-90, but didn't want all the recoil it delivers just for a white tail hunting rifle. Beside's, 45-90's are rather pricey. Then the .38-55 came to mind. Inexspensive rifle, mild recoil and with jacketed bullets and a modern action I thought I could make those bullets really fly.

Now I'm back to cast bullet's, oh well. I'll buy a box of .381's and give them a try.

THANKS!
Terry

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Scota4570, your's was posted while I was typing. I guess I need to do a chamber cast now and find out exactly what I can chamber before I buy anything.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I ruled out the 45-70 real quick because of it's rainbow like trajectory"

Your 38-55 will not be significantly different.

If you are OK with jacketed bullets, load some and see what happens. They may provide adequate accuracy to 150 yards. That will be your limit due to trajactory. You do not need MOA accuracy. You need about about 6 MOA. That would put you at 9" at 150 yards. The thought of that appauling to me as a target shooter. As a hunter I know it is enough. We may be over thinking this thing.

" Now you don't need a muzzle loader anymore, you can use a metallic cartridge rifle as long as it is breech loaded, has an exposed hammer, is .38 caliber or over and is an original or reproduction of a pre-1900's firearm."

Sounds like a 35 Remington Marlin would be OK. Or even a M-94 winchester in 375? Doesn't sound like much of a handycap. You must have way to many deer down there.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scota4570:
Sounds like a 35 Remington Marlin would be OK. Or even a M-94 winchester in 375? Doesn't sound like much of a handycap. You must have way to many deer down there.

Breech loading only rules the 94's out.

You're very right, I need to shoot the bullets I bought and see what happens.

I just ran the #'s on the ballistic calculator. The 38-55 does best the 45-70 but not nearly as well as I thought it would.

Yes, we can be very selective about what we shoot down here. It's a target rich enviroment. Too many deer.