New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado reloaders - question on components
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We are moving to an area just east of Colorado Springs shorty. I'll most likely have to drive 3 different vehicles down from Alaska so I can most likely transport all my ammo, primers, and powder myself. Might consider shipping it all out in one batch with a frieght company.

The easiest option would be to sell off most of it in Alaska before I leave and rebuy once I get to Colorado. Thats assumming I can rebuy what I need by either mail order or driving a reasonable distance.

How are the supplies of powder and primers down there? .22 ammo? I have about 25-30 bricks but don't mind selling it if it can be easily replaced.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are patient, you can repurchase your supplies. Many of the shops are out of, or real short on, reloading supplies.

BassPro, in N Denver, has started to limit how much you can buy, i.e. 2lbs of powder per person/day, 2,000 primers pp/pd, etc. 22LR has been out-of-stock for 3-4 weeks.

In a nutshell, it can't be easily replaced at the present time.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen .22 rimfire on the shelves for 6 weeks, powder in anything I need same way and primers too. People here are buying just about anything that shows up on the shelves I think its a sickness.
If in your shoes I would bring it all. No sense in selling it then trying to buy it here, supplies are desperately low in Colorado Springs.

Where east of the Springs are you coming to?
I live between Calhan and Peyton, 13 minutes to Falcon, 10 minutes to Calhan, Peyton, Ellicott.
PM me if you like.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Since you'll be driving, I'd bring it. No telling when things will be back on the shelves!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe
DO NOT SELL OFF YOUR COMPONENTS. You will have a difficult time replacing them down here currently. My supplier tells me that we are at least a year out on primers, I've have powder on order, in bulk for almost a year at present. Bullets are sketchy at best.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moved down here from Anchorage last spring, at the time seemed easier to put a couple vehicles and a trailer on the ferry from Whittier. Prime motivation was convenience, drive on, find yer bunk, find something to do for 3 days. Part of the charm was avoiding late season storms, caribou, moose, etc..
Real big reason to take the boat, lot easier to pack the guns, powder, primers, etc, than having to deal with customs over powder and primer limits, rifles, and whatnot.
Got to avoid the hassle of shipping the revolvers as well. Just a thought..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Since you'll be driving, I'd bring it. No telling when things will be back on the shelves!

Agreed. There has been no H4831 here for quite some time and no eta on when it will be available. Same for most supplies.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't sell unless you can do without for the next 9 months or so. Remember the industries supply 1st the military, 2nd law enforcement, 3rd civilian market.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I expected keeping and transporting was the prudent thing to do.

Only things I need to transport is the powder, primers, and loaded ammo. But the 25-30 bricks of .22 ammo will eat up some space.

I'll have the movers move all the weapons except my doubles and I might just carry them through Canada myself and pay the fee's.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
.22 is pretty well a small package already even for 5 or 6 cases. It might pack easier wedging a brick here and a brick there.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

I live between Calhan and Peyton, 13 minutes to Falcon, 10 minutes to Calhan, Peyton, Ellicott.
PM me if you like.

Wifes job is on Schriever AFB. Not sure of where we will be living but we plan on buying something with 2-5 acres.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple places to shoot:

Dragonmans on Hwy 94 east of the Springs

Frontier Sportsman's Club (on the internet - waiting list to join) Range is at Falcon

Not sure what is further east.

Mike

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, just submitted an application for Frontier Sportsman Club.
Guys up here have been hounding me to cut loose of some of my primers, 22 ammo and powder but looks like the safe bet is to bring it all with me.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

PM me if you like.

Wifes job is on Schriever AFB. Not sure of where we will be living but we plan on buying something with 2-5 acres.

There are quite a few of those places (2-10 acres) east of Falcon up towards Peyton and Calhan out to Ellicott. I'm sure you'll find something around the area to accomodate your needs.

Smart move on bringing your stuff down. Better safe than sorry!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make a plan to transport it yourself. You might find prices have doubled.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, just submitted an application for Frontier Sportsman Club.
Guys up here have been hounding me to cut loose of some of my primers, 22 ammo and powder but looks like the safe bet is to bring it all with me.

I haven't heard how many membership will be open at Frontier? There is couple other membership clubs around Colorado Springs. Pikes Peak Gun Club it's part of Izaak Walton beside rifle have trap/skeet range another one is Ben Lomond Gun Club @ Ramah,Co.

Were getting Bass-Pro open this summer it's off North Gate Rd I-25 and were suppose to be getting Cabela's up in Denver sometime this year.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Don't sell your stuff!!

You can't replace it for what you can sell it for....not to mention there are no supplies

As far as your move to the Eastern plains of Colorado....there are some A+ folks there

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:

Snowwolfe,

I think your smart to keep it. If me, I'd have it shipped rather than drive through Canada with it.

Good luck with the move!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote