THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Identifying a powder from a 6.5 x 55 dismantled cartridge.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identifying a powder from a 6.5 x 55 dismantled cartridge.
 Login/Join

<green 788>
posted
I took apart some of the excellent 6.5 x 55 Swedish military "prickskytte" ammunition. I note that the charge for the 143 grain bullet was 46 grains of a powder that looked very much like RL22. (This bullet is misidentified in many sources as a 139 grain bullet but it actually weighs 143 grains).

I examined a pinch of RL22 beside a pinch of the military powder. Looking at the two under bright flourescent light, and through a magnifying glass, they appeared identical.

Next step was to test volumes of equal charge weights. I poured a 46 grain charge of RL22 and got out my set of Lee dippers. I noted that the 3.1 cc dipper wouldn't quite hold this 46 grain charge of RL22, but the 3.4 grain dipper held it to near level.

I then poured the unknown powder charge into the 3.1 cc dipper, and it lacked about the same amount of fitting that dipper. The 3.4 cc dipper held the charge to near level. Exactly the same volumes, it seemed...

Lastly, and very importantly, I consulted my Speer #12 manual and noted that 48 grains of RL22 is the max charge with their 140 grain bullet, for a reported velocity of 2671 fps from a 22 inch barrel.

I know that the velocity of the prickskytte load is right at 2600 fps from the M96 Swede's 29 1/2 inch barrel.

It would then seem that 46 grains of RL22 with a 143 grain bullet could well yield around 2600 fps from a 29 1/2 inch barrel.

I'm tentatively saying that the Swedish prickskytte 143 grain military sniper load uses 46 grains of a powder identical or near identical in formula to Alliant's Reloder 22. This powder was probably not known as Reloder 22 in Sweden when this ammuntion was assembled, but I suspect that the formula is the same. Also, FWIW the Reloder powders are all made in Sweden.

The last step would be to test the trajectory of the Sierra 142 grain Matchking with the 46 grain charge of RL22, and see how closely it matches the prickskytte trajectory.

A final note. 46 grains of RL22 with the 142 or 143 grain bullet in the 6.5 x 55 Swede cartridge is under max, so there is no danger in testing the theory. I will work up beginning at about 43 grains, to be safe.

The Swede prickskytte ammo is awesomely accurate (MOA with iron sights in both of my M96's) and it follows the sight graduations on the rifles. This is my reason for wanting to duplicate that fine recipe...

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
green 788,
Very interesting observation. Please keep us posted on your research. As you know from another forum we both visit, I am starting to formulate in my mind what type of load I want to attempt in my 6.5X55.

Posts: 30 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Thanks for the reply, Arkie. I've got a new chrongraph on the way, so I'll be getting together some data soon.

You may want to try the 45 grain H4350 load with a 140 grain bullet of some pedigree. It did work for me.

Take care,

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
trying to identify powder by sight is impossible, as so many of them look alike. Trying to identify powder from a military loading is like finding a needle in a haystack, as so many of them were made specificaly for the military for a particular bullet.

Very dangerous. Jest my $.02 worth.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Pecos, if I were putting powder of unknown origin into cases, I would agree wholeheartedly with what you said. What I'm actually doing is determining what seems like a good candidate to get the same results from the military load, and consulting a loading manual before putting that load together. I'm using off the shelf RL22 for this purpose.

I know my post was a bit verbose (I probably do ramble too much [Embarrassed] ). So in case anyone missed this paragraph, I'll copy it here again.

"A final note. 46 grains of RL22 with the 142 or 143 grain bullet in the 6.5 x 55 Swede cartridge is under max, so there is no danger in testing the theory. I will work up beginning at about 43 grains, to be safe.'

I reprint the above statement in hopes that no one gets the impression that I'm advocating putting unknown powders into reloaded cartridges.

The worst thing that could actually happen here is that I'd get a load that didn't perform like the Swedish military load.

I think the chances are excellent at this point that the Swedish military powder is the same formula as RL22.

I'll post more data after my next box of 142 grain Matchkings get here... [Smile]

Dan Newberry
green 788

<Kimmo E>
posted
It is probably a Bofors powder, i�ll think a close one is Norma MRP also made by Bofors.