New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single-base vs. Double-based Powders?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the benefits and disadvantages over the other?

Just curious Big Grin

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Generally, double base powders have more energy and lower flame temperatures with less pressure than equal amounts of single base powders. Double base powders are easier on throats due to less start pressure and temperature, to a degree.
Another phenomenon I have noticed with double base powders is that they have less felt recoil 'pulse' than do single base powders, this is hard to quantify, but that's what I've noticed. Double base ball powders have even less flame temps than extruded double base powders and this also helps protect throats in high intensity cartridges.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Squeeze,

quote:
Generally, double base powders have more energy and lower flame temperatures with less pressure than equal amounts of single base powders.

tu2

416RigbyHunter nailed that one right on the Head!

I've only experience with the VVN series. Their 100 series is single based, 500 series double based.

Advantage: up to 200 fps velocity increase depending on the cartridge & bullet loaded.

The 500 series tends to a more siginificant velocity increase when used in "Magnum" cartridges with standard-heavy for caliber bullets; in the 7mm & 300 Magnums and especially in cartridges such as 300 Weatherby Magnum and the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum - they really cook vs. single based powders in these larger cartridges.

Nevertheless also offers a velocity increase in standard cases , .243 Win, 7x57, 7x64 Brenneke & .30/06 Sprg, etc. but the gain isn't quite as much. I really like double based powders in the .270 Winchester where similar to IMR or H-4350 vs. H-4831 is just, well - VVN-560 really works good. Accuracy with either of their series is spectacular.

Disadvantage: 12%-15% higher price from 100 series vs. 500 series - at least here in Europe.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm,, I thought ive been reading repeatedly the opposite, that double base powders are generaly hotter and can cause more throat errosion. Frowner

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
I would guess powder with a high-nitroglycerine concentration would burn hotter?? The Manufacture of Smokeless Powders and their Forensic Analysis: A Brief Review

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yup my understand too is that double based powders especially ball powders burn hotter and cause more throat errosion. It sure works that way in handguns anyway.
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
Hmmm,, I thought ive been reading repeatedly the opposite, that double base powders are generaly hotter and can cause more throat errosion. Frowner Hope I can get the correct info

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've always understood that double based burned hotter and could cause more damage. In most cases I've seen very little velocity advantage given by double based powder.

All that said I use more RL powders than anyting else in my rifles.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JD Miller
one of us

Posted 20 May 2010 16:13 Hide Post
Hmmm,, I thought ive been reading repeatedly the opposite, that double base powders are generaly hotter and can cause more throat errosion.

+1 me to.. but i can get more velocity out of double base.. like RL-15 say over 4064.

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
What are the benefits and disadvantages over the other?

This might mean something to you living on a humid island:

"Compared to single-based powders, double-based powders are less sensitive to spontaneous hydration--taking on water from the air. Depending upon storage and environmental conditions, single-based powders can vary significantly in moisture content. Hydration alters density and burn rate. Increasing moisture content slows the burn rate, sometimes dramatically." Pg34, Metallic Cartridge Reloading, 3rd Edition.

Another tidbit from the same tome:

"If you are looking at powders that don't fill the available powder space, stay with double-based powders because these tend to be less sensitive to powder position."

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a rule, there is no rule. Many of the comments thus far on this post are only partially accurate.

GENERALLY, DB powders do burn hotter than SB powders. However, certain DB powders like the Ball (sometimes called "spherical") powders are made with certain modifying coatings which reduce the flame temperature (and do other things to flash and the progressivness of burning).

Because the nitroglycerine content of DB powders varies, it can be used somewhat to regulate burning speed. It is generally "easier" to get fast-burning pistol and shotgun powders to behave the way you want using a DB formula as opposed to an SB formula.

All powders are hydroscopic (tend to absorb moisture). The degree to which they exhibit this tendancy probably has more to do with their granulation and coatings than with whether they are DB or SB. To the extent that DB ball powder is compared with SB stick or flake, then yes, the SB is probably more hydroscopic.

SB rifle powders tend to behave in a more linear fashion than DB rifle powders. In other words, the old rule of thumb is that (once typical working pressures are approached) a 2% increase in SB powder results in a 2% increase in pressure and about a 1% increase in velocity (a very broad, but somewhat demonstrable rule.) DB powders tend not to act in quite such a linear fashion and may exhibit unexpected pressure excursions with incremental powder increases as maximum pressures are approached.

Bottom line: There are great powders in both formulations. Neither is will magically provide more velocity with less pressure, nor will either predictibly provide better accuracy. The difference in barrel wear CAN be very significant: If you shoot twice as many rounds with one than the other, then you can expect twice as much barrel wear with that type powder Big Grin!

Experiment. One powder is often better than another in a particular gun. SB is a little easier to work with, but you can find some quite rewarding loads with many DB powders. I usually go first with an SB powder since 45 years of loading experience tells me they are a bit more predictible. On the other hand I have many favorite loads with DB powders (and virtually ALL of my handgun and shotgun loading is with DB powders.)

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is great stuff gang...As I begin to reload other cartridges for my battery I thought this question would be good to know...I appreciate everyone's comments...And Steve thanks for clarifying things for me here... Big Grin

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

All powders are hydroscopic (tend to absorb moisture).

I believe you mean hygroscopic: attracting or absorbing moisture from the air.

As far as I am aware and can find in dictionaries, there is no word
"hydroscopic."

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunpowder deteriorates through a reduction-oxidation reaction. Nitroglycerine speeds up that reaction. Single based (nitrocellulose) powders have a longer shelf life than Double based (nitroglycerine and nitrocellulose). The Army scraps double based propellants at 20 years, single based 45 years.

I prefer the single based powders. I can’t tell any on target difference and I like the longer shelf life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you are confused rather than my piping in my .02 worth , I'll simply send you to a reliable

sources .

so you can read it for your self's !. If any of you have any questions please contact Hodgdon's Powder or

IMR, Alliant as they will be more than happy to set you straight if in doubt !.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/questions/default.aspx

http://en.allexperts.com/e/s/sm/smokeless_powder.htm

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Gunpowder

http://www.hodgdon.com/hodgdon.html

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote