Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x39 Small vs Large Primer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
Does anyone have any experience with the 7.62x39 and can tell me about the small vs large primers in that cartridge? Is there an edge as far as accuracy goes in either one?

Steve E.............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the ppc round is made from small primers. in 7.62 i doubt if you will find much of a difference

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you this. If you have such a rifle as an AK clone or SKS that have a very large firing pin tip and very robust firing pin....well you can see what I'm getting at...the firing pin tip is probably as large as 2/3rd's the primer size and it may also pierce them. My Yugo SKS pierces them. They would be fine in such rifles as the CZ 527 bolt rifle and the AR 15 in that caliber.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I'm talking about a bolt action rifle and an Encore rifl and pistol barrel (both barrels are MGM)in that caliber. I was just wondering if one or the other size of primers showed a preference for better accuracy in the 7.62x39?

Steve E.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mentioned those other rifles and said you'll be okay there. Now I had scoped my Yugo SKS and glass bedded it and tried all the tricks I could think of to better my groups including trying the small rifle primered cases. Like Butch said I didn't see much of a change if any. You may in your bolt rifle and Encore. I would think the smaller primer case would be a little stronger although that round doesn't really develop very high pressures.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingIf you can get in touch with Krochus. He has all the information on this. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Steve E.............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
R-P brass is small primer pocket, Winchester, PMC, Lapua (K-P headstamp) IMI all large primer pockets.

I prefer the R-P from my experience with it.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
It's getting harder to find the Remington small primer pocket brass, most of the stuff from Remington around here has large primers now.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found more of a difference in accuracy with different head stamps than I did with S vs L primers. Accuracy brass in my Ruger is Lapua/K&P, IMI, Rem then Win. In fact I won't even waist my time with Win x39 brass anymore.

20 rounds
100 yards
K&P Brass
Fed 210M Primers.
27gr AA 2015
130gr Speer HP .308
Ruger Mini-30

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly what Butch and I were telling you. I was thinking if you wanted small primered brass one route is to buy 6.5 Grendel and size it in a 7.62x39 sizer die. I warn you it's expensive brass as it's Lapua and recently Hornady is making it and Hornady is also making 264 LBC which is the same as the 6.5 Grendel. I can't verify if the Hornady brass is small primer, but the Lapua is.

Nice shooting by the way.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I already have about 100 rounds of Remy small primer and about 700 large primer IMI brass. This rifle is the opposite of most. It will shoot the Wolf ammo better than domestic offerings.

Steve E.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran