New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big game bullet .308 size
 Login/Join

<Greg Manning>
posted
Looking for an opinion...partition..barnesXLC....scirocco...sierra....what do you think..any experiences. I want the best combo of accuracy and terminal performance...around 3200fps I expect. Greg

<ultramag>
posted
I have had extremely good luck w/ swift scirocco and barnes X's in my 30 cal. line-up. Can't wait to get my hands on Barnes's new 168 gr. coated bullets I keep hearing about.

------------------
May your chambers be true to your bores.

<bearlake>
posted
Hornady 180gr SST. This is a hunting bullet built to fly like a match bullet. CHECK IT OUT!!!

<Big Stick>
posted
I shoot 165gr XLC's in all my Big 30's...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma "ORYX" 180grs.

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are you calling "big game". Deer or cape buffalo? I've used the 168 Sierra matchking HPBT on 3 to 5 deer per year for the last 20 years and never lost a deer yet. Knock on wood! For deer their great, but they explode on impact, and only get about 12 inches of penetration. Not good for cape buffalo. In a broadside whitetail shot, expect a .30 cal entrance and about a 3 to 4 inch gaping exit channel. I've never had a deer run more than 100 to 200 yards after a well placed shot. There is so much trauma caused, that even a poor placed shot usually brings them down. Though, I'm not suggesting taking poor shots. For larger game over 400 pounds I'd choose a bullet that carries through a little more flesh. The 168's won't leave an exit wound to leave you a nice blood trail to follow on a moose. For cape buffalo, I used a .375 and a .458 for good measure(insurance). I wouldn't try a .30 cal here. Good luck hunting. captjordan@juno.com

Posts: 295 | Location: houston, TX USA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
captjordan -
I'm assuming you've seen the "Sierra MatchKing...not a hunting bullet" thread here. Do you realize what you've done? Saeed's server may blow up.
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to go wrong with the Nosler partition. I've found them to be accurate and excellent terminal performers. The Barnes X does well in terminal performance, but many people, including me, just can't get them to shoot well. Haven't tried Scirocco, but would expect it to do well. The Sierra is fine for anything under about 400 lbs.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
165g X flat base & IMR 4064, I cant make the boattail's accurate(+1.5 moa)in my guns (.308win .300wm or .30-06)

Good luck!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote