New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Semi Auto Help
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
Well, I took Sierras advise and used IMR 4064 with thier Spitzer 130g Boattails. He suggested 43g-47.5g. I made the mistake of loading 50 shells, 10-43g, 10-44, 10-45, 10-46g, 10-47grain. Tryed three of each and the only one that would cycle half way correctly is 47g of 4064. It would cycle the first two but would jam on the last one. I am using small base sizers also so that shouldnt be a problem. But I did get three out of three sets of 1.1" groups with the 47g. This is the best this gun has ever shot. This makes sense I guess cause it is able to slam the ejecter where as with the others it wasn't cycling all the way with unpredictable recoil. All the others got between 2"-3" groups. Would you suggest going up to 48g. It is one grain over the speer limit and .5g over sierras max load. I love the accuacy but I really need this gun to cycle correctly. Thought about using IMR 4350 but might be a little slow for Semi's.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Big: have had some of the same with a Remington 7400 in .270. I use IMR 4064 47.5gr. 130 gr sp. cci250m primers. with a factory crimp, small base dies. Make sure the action is clean NO OIL.. some times the chamber will have some fouling at the sholder, I had to pull the barrel of mine to get it clean. another problem I had was with the over all length changing with the rounds in the magazine, that is why I crimp.. Do trim the brass to length, it helps to keep the round consistent. Lyman has this load max at 49 grains of imr4064. I have good luck with loads that fly between 2750f/s and 2900f/s.
hivelosity

[This message has been edited by HIVELOSITY (edited 12-17-2001).]

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Good ideas. I will shoot and see if the COL changes. I called Sierra today and he suggested dropping COL from 3.3" to 3.25" or so. Hope it don't ruin my dandy groups. I have never got that good out of a Semi before. I might also raise it up to 47.5g and may sneak a few at 48g.

one of us
posted Hide Post
H-414 is THE powder for a .270 semi-auto! Use 52.5gr to 54gr max, 130gr bullet and a CCI-250 magnum primer.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .270 semi-auto? Sacrilege. Please get a bolt action and live happily ever after.

www.rifleshooter.com

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Cool Kudo, it is nice of your to offer to buy me one. Thanks. Send me an email and I will send you the address to send it too.