Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 reloading question
 Login/Join

posted
Guys, I would like to try different powders for my 6.5x55 M96 Swede. I've used XMR-4350 in the past with 120gr Sierra SP and 140gr Remington bullets with some success I then came across http://www.accuratereloading.com/65smauser.html where it states that Varget can also be used for this caliber. Can you please verify that this is correct and if so what would be an accurate load for the 140gr bullet?

Thanks
gcp

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can use Varget, but my question would be "why?" I am certain you could find an accurate recipe, but the load density would be less than optimum.

The 6.5x55 really shines with slower powders, and nothing compares to Re-22 with the 140 grain bullets. I shoot a number of rifles in this caliber, from military carbines to full custom jobs, and across the board, Re-22 is well ahead of the pack in both the velocity and accuracy department.

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bobby, thanks for your input. The only reason to use Varget is because it meters well....not to mention that I have 8lbs of it

I've heard so many good things about R22, I must try some. Will it work equally well on a 7x57 Brazilian mauser I wonder.

gcp

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Well, I've not tried Re22, but my Sako in 6.5 really likes Re19 behind 120 or 140 grain Barnes XLCs. My have to try that 22 also...

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
GCP-
Yes, it will work very well in a 7x57 once you reach 140 grain and heavier bullets. For lighter projectiles, I favor H4350.

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guys, if one believes in a full case what about using fillers with Varget to pack the powder against the primer? I've heard of people using oat and such to compress the powder but have never tried it. I did use toilet paper in the past in .45ACP light reloads (with Bullseye actually) but would it also work as well in rifle cases?

Thanks
gcp

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too reload for several 6.5X55 rifles. I agree with Bobby. RL-22 with 140 grain and above, H4350 with anything less. Several powders will work but the RL-22 really shines in the 6.5X55. I have used RL-22 with 120 Nosler BT's and it shoots ok but H4350 is better with the 120's.

A good starting point is listed below:
46.5 grains or RL-22
Hornady 140 grain Interlock bullet
Remington 9 1/2 primer
COA= 3.00

start ther and work up slowly. You'll be real happy with the results and you'll be surprised at just how far up the charge scale you can go.

Posts: 30 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I talked to Hodgen yesterday on the Varget use and Mike (very nice fellow) told me it's a great choice for the 140gr and beyond 6.5mm & 7mm calibers but NOT to EVER use fillers with bottle neck rounds, it can be very dangerous because if the filler decides to act like a plug, and it could, it can increase pressures and blow up your gun. So PLEASE don't do it, it's not worth the risk. On straight cases like my previous example it's fine but not on bottle neck ammo!

I will report on its accuracy, but it sounds like RL22 is the powder of choice, I'll have to get some.
gcp

<Yspen>
posted
Another vote for Re-22 .

one of us
posted Hide Post
36 grains of Varget and 140 Sierra Mks work very nicely for me.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My M96 likes both RL22 and AA4350 with 140 grain bullets. The results are practically identical. 46 grains RL22 gives me 2824 fps, and 44 grains AA4350 gives me 2793. I haven't tested H4350 with 140 grain bullets, but my experience with other calibers leads me to believe that it will give you a slight boost in MV, vs. the AA4350. I think almost any slow burning powder is going to give you really nice results. It's quite a tolerant caliber.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i tried hodgdon's 4831sc @ a friends suggestion. 47 grains,win case,fed 210 primer and 140 gr hornady sp, 3.095" oal @ 2600 fps from a cz mannlicher with 20.5" bbl and 6x leupold goes into the .3's all day long. rifle does not seem to like anything under 140 grs. i seem to think that it might have something to do with the long leades built into the industries reamers. performance like this kind of made me stop right there with any further load work. great cartridge! enjoy, victor e.

Posts: 15 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 12 March 2003Reply With Quote