New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Barreled 223-Powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a powder to use for a short barreld -suppressed-bolt action-1in9 twist barrel. I have not decided on a bullet yet, but I am looking at the Calhoon, but not sure what weight yet. I am looking for powder's that will burn in the shorter barrels and not leave unburnt powder in the suppressor. Anybody doing this?? Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long is your barrel? Short barrels and small cases require fast-burning powders. I'd see if I could find loads for 10-inch and 11.5-inch M16s. It's a place to start...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hodgdon site has loads listed for the 14" barrels under the Pistol section. I have used this data for my 16.5" barreled .308 Win with good results.

Look through there and pick one of the faster powders listed and you should be very close to what your wanting.

Good luck

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When years ago I was loading for a a Mini-14 and trying to minimize muzzle flash (factory ball loads at the time flashed like a supernova) I finally settled on Reloader7

The basic idea is using the fastest burning non-ball powder that will achieve your velocity goal.

Ball powders flash more than anything else
Dual-base stick propellants make more flash than single base stick propellants

The reloader series of propellants are dual base.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good idea might be to look at the reloading manual and choose the faster powder they have listed for that caliber. The faster powders do not perform as well in the longer barrels, but they might not be afected as much in the shorter barrels and burn completely.

You even might want to try a magnum pistol powder like H110, just be careful to back off once the primer starts to crater or flatten. I do not know of any load data for H110 in rifles though.

Ranb

ETA; Opps, I see Mike/TX already thought of faster powders.

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.ammoguide.com lists a bunch of pistolver loads in multiple bullet weights. Just 18 bucks a year for so, so much...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you aren't shooting a semi auto,

4198, Rl 7, H 322...4227, 2400...

and if you want to attract Hot Core to flame you and question your intelligence and accuse you of having the potential to kill someone,

just mention... B L U E D O T shocker

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote