THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please compare these two .375 H&H loads.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted
Hornady 270 grain RN soft with 78 grains of IMR4350.

Hornady 300 grain RN soft with 72 grains of IMR4350.

Which would penetrate better on plainsgame and which would have the most felt recoil? What would the velocites be out of a Winchester Mod. 70 Safari Express?

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muletrain.

I know this is not a full answer to your question but IMO the 300 grain is the best way to go in this calibre, simply more factory ammo with premium bulets is available and also for Dangerous game where solids and softs may be called for, usually 300 grain wil be order of the day.

I have no real experience with the powder you list but can give you my own pet load, that was given to me by the late Jack Carter that is :-

W-W Brass
Fed # 215 primer

Rel 19 powder- 84 grains for Bear Claw 300 grain softs ( reduce by app 2 grains for the Sledgehammer solids ) velocity in region of 2550 fps - and in my own rifle absolutely no pressure signs.

Sorry not the answer you wanted but the load is a good one

JT

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
Hornady 270 grain RN soft with 78 grains of IMR4350.

Hornady 300 grain RN soft with 72 grains of IMR4350.

Which would penetrate better on plainsgame and which would have the most felt recoil? What would the velocites be out of a Winchester Mod. 70 Safari Express?

Muletrain,

Just FYI: I had a 300 gr Hornady RN Interlock (from a .375 H&H at 2480 fps muzzle velocity) absolutely come apart on a Gemsbok in South Africa back in 2000 on my first safari. Range was about 80 yards. The recovered parts of the bullet looked like shrapnel. (Note: I'm talking about the Hornady Interlock here not the newer Hornady Interbond which is a bonded core bullet.) We chased that Gemsbok for a couple of miles before putting him down. I learned my lesson on that one. I have used Woodleigh (bonded core) bullets ever since for my hunting in Africa. (I went back in 2002 and 2005.) However, the Hornady Interlocks are fine for practice and they will work fine on hogs and such here in Texas. There are better bullet choices for hunting plains game in Africa.

Just my two cents worth....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Well. depending on where your bullet impacts, the 300gr should penetrate deeper & will definetly recoil more. If I were just after plainsgame, I would go w/ the 270gr in a spire or Spitzer point. It will shoot flatter & penetration should actually go up a bit if using say a Hornady.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I've shot 260 gr Nosler Partitions ahead of 75 grs of IMR4350 for MANY years and have taken almost everything in Africa with it with NO problems. It's a very pleasant load in my rifles,(5 375's) and shoots well in all of them. I have one 20 rnd (thats twenty) group shot with no cooling between shots just normal pacing that measures .700. Just one ragged hole, no flyers. The gun is a ss Mdl 70 new model in a David Miller classic laminated stock. Fully glass bedded. I really don't need
anything better than that. I realize this isn't a max load more like a minimum but the game doesn't complain and it shoots accurately out to 300yds.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
78 grains of IMR4350 would get me about 2630 fps or so in my 375 H&H.

79 grains of IMR4350 with a 260 grain Nosler Partition gives me 2685 fps and groups like this:

I have some 300 grain Barnes TSX and solids but I haven't got a chance to test them out yet.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote