Find
Notify
Tools

41 mag help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
I've just gotten some Cast performance 250 gr. WFNPB hard cast bullets for my 6" S&W 657, and they didn't come with the loading data they were supposed to. I'm running into the only shortcoming of the 41 mag as far as I can tell. Lack of available data. I have done due diligence and searched the net and various forums, and have found some people's pet loads here and there, but I'd prefer to start out light and work up. Problem is, the pet loads I've found seem somewhat hot to me (like 21+ grs. of H110) for standard bullets, and I don't want to try them out as my first ever loadings for hard cast. I have lots of SR 4756 and H110 that I'd like to load up for trial. Can anyone give me some info on the powder charge ranges for these two?

P.S. these aren't gas checked bullets, but I'm not trying to get 1800 fps either. 1200 fps would suite me just fine.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daniel,
Hodgon has data for H110.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists 8.7-10.5 grs SR4756 for a 240gr. cast bullet. Hope this helps.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Thank you Craigster,
I did see that, but it is for a gas checked bullet. I'll readily admit that I don't know enough to know whether or not that would be too much for one without a GC or not. If someone with more knowledge than I will okay it for me, I'll start loading some this evening.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TAKE NOTE: You don't start out low and work up with H110/W296.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Well now, that's about clear as mud. Thanks soooooo much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WE had a similar issue, and simply called the folks from Cast performance. They recommended several loads for my bud. I would get them for you but he is out of the country right now.

Give CP a call they are a great bunch to speak with.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I did call and email them. Still waiting on a response.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Daniel, I don't believe the 5 grains difference between the 245 grain lead SWC and the 250 grain WFNGC is enough to make a difference for me.

I used the 21 grains of H110 for the 245 bullet as a guide when deciding to try 20 grains for both the GC and non gas checked version of the 220 grain Montana Bullet equivalent. It happens to be about the same load I use for my 210 jacketed loads, so I just use the same load for all of them.

I hope that makes sense.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I got a call from them this afternoon. He recommended 17.5-18.5 grns of H110, but said that he much preferred Lil Gun for higher velocity with lower pressure. I loaded some up, and will try them this week.

I've also gone up to 21 grns. of H110 with 210 gr jacketed bullets, and I consider that to be a fairly stiff load. I will however keep pushing the envelope with these, assuming that 18.5 grs. is not too hot, accuracy doesn't suffer and the barrel doesn't start leading up.

Thanks for your replies. Feel free to add more.
I'll post a report when I've shot them.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
I got a call from them this afternoon. He recommended 17.5-18.5 grns of H110, but said that he much preferred Lil Gun for higher velocity with lower pressure. I loaded some up, and will try them this week.

I've also gone up to 21 grns. of H110 with 210 gr jacketed bullets, and I consider that to be a fairly stiff load. I will however keep pushing the envelope with these, assuming that 18.5 grs. is not too hot, accuracy doesn't suffer and the barrel doesn't start leading up.

Thanks for your replies. Feel free to add more.
I'll post a report when I've shot them.

I hear LilGun burns really hot. As in when you fire 6rds, the bbl will feel very hot compared to other powders of sim burn speed. That is important for bbl. wear, so the add;l. 30-40fps isn't that important to me. H110 gets top vel. w/ less heat.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the most part I don't shoot a lot of lead through mine. When I do I generally just use the Oregon Trail 215g and load them with the same load I use for the 200gr Remington SJHP, which is 20.5gr of 296.

This load with either of these bullets or even the 210gr Remington SP is a very accurate mid power load. I have recommended it many time and for the most part the results have all been the same.

Do yourself a favor and try different crimp settings. Use just enough to avoid bullet creep, and you will find your accuracy and consistency will be much better. I see a lot of loads that are crimped too much, which will cause erratic pressure, and accuracy when fired.

With the lead bullets you will need slightly mor of a roll crimp than with jacketed, but not a whole lot more. Just enough to roll into the crimp grove and hold it firmly.

Good luck, and I do believe the Lil Gun was what they recommended to my friend as well.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
TAKE NOTE: You don't start out low and work up with H110/W296.

Hodgdon cautions against loading less than 3% below maximum.