THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New .204 Ruger ? Have I been under a rock?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
While noodling around on the Midsouth website I saw this about the "New .204 Ruger"

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/204ruger.asp

"Hornady announces yet another Incredible Cartridge! The 204 Ruger! Hornady's Newest innovation delivers extremely high velocity, low recoil and muzzleblast, and a flat trajectory. The initial 204 Ruger cartridge features Hornady's 32gr V-Max polymer tipped bullet while using 1/3 less powder to provide accuracy and hard-hitting velocity that's still forgiving on your barrel! The .204 Ruger has an incredible Muzzle Velocity of 4225! (Tested from the Ruger Model 77 with 26" Barrel) Once again, Hornady has "Impacted" Varmint Hunting in a way that it will never be the same!!."

Does anyone know what case it is? It looks a little like an improved .223 necked down to 20 caliber.

Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
There has been some scuttlebutt about this recently. Not to say you've been under a rock, maybe just asleep at the wheel [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ! I believe it's based on the .222 Rem Mag. It seems quite similar to the .20 Tactical or .20 Vartarg Turbo (is that right?). Either way, I think it looks pretty interesting. I've had a sub-.22 cal in the back of my mind for a while, and a factory introduced and supported round might be just the prodding I need to take up with one. We'll have to see, but if its success is anything like that of the .17 HMR, it may just be here for a while.

Edited to give you a link to a topic here on AR that you've probably already seen: .204 Ruger

[ 11-13-2003, 16:48: Message edited by: DesertRam ]

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyler,
Not to take anything away from Ruger but that cartridge has been around for years. Parker Ackley mentions it in his books. I read somewhere that it is on the .222 case and if that's true it came out in 1947. 20/222 is what it is called in the book. Not much that hasn't been tried already.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote