New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unique & Magnum Primers.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Reloaders, I've heard that one should NOT use magnum pistol primers with Unique powder. Anyone have any knowledge of this??

Thanks. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've done it, when I was out of regular primers and the wallet was very flat. I was shooting the loads in a Ruger Blackhawk so there was plenty of strength should there be a problem.
I never noticed a difference.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
One of my favorite practice loads for my 44 redhawk was a modest charge of unqiue over a 155 primer with a 240 gr LSWC for about 900 fps or so - I've put 2000+ of these through my redhawk. Shot fire, low recoil, and good accuracy. Never worked up max loads with unique though - always prefered AA#9 or H110/WW296 for snootier loads with jacketed huunting loads of 240 gr and heavier.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I do it all the time...however, the loads are initially worked-up using magnum primers.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, A.R. reloaders. I'd not want to blow up anything, using the wrong primers.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote