New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need help with loading the 30-30,I have these bullets and powder,110gr hornady and sierra, 125 sierra spitzers, 150gr hornady sp, and 150gr speer spitzer. Powders are varget,imr 4350, h 4350, imr 4320, reloader 19, h 4895. I loaded for 30-30 before but mainly used varget and 4320. Any help please, I load single shot in my 94

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting single shot, Nosler 125gr ballistic Tips and a healthy dose of IMR-3031 work well in my 336.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use H335, work up to 39 gr w/110, 37.5 gr with 125/130 gr and 35 gr with the 150 gr bullets.

These are max SAAMI MAP loads tested in my M94 with an Oehler M43 PBL. As you are using different componants and a different rifle drop back and work up loads looking for pressure signs, as always, in your own rifle.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are we the only 3 loading for this round?

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:

Roll EyesPerhaps beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nope

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of your powders are too slow for the 30-30.

There is a lot of excellent data for it in existence. IMR puts their data in a handy little guide. Pick out the right charge of 3031 or 4895 and be happy.

Other non IMR powders to consider are H322 and Re7.
I stick with IMR powders because Re7 has come and gone a time or two since I began loading.
H322 is likley to be around awhile since the bench rest crowd is nuts over it,

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I load it alot.. both high and low...

depends on what you want the cartridge and rifle to do.....

it can be an excellent coyote calling rig, short range deer getter...

W 748 or BLC 2 are an excellent powder for it for max performance...

Powders from Trail Boss to Benchmark, RL 10, H 322 add a lot of versatility to it also..

examples: How bout a 110 grain Sierra HP or 110 grain V Max at 3000 fps?

or a 220 grain RN at 2000 fps?

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
Hey Kennedy, What works well in one 30-30 might not work nearly as well in a different one. Or it might work great.

I'd suggest you look through your Load Manuals, pick the Powders that offer the highest Velocity at a Safe Max Pressure and Test the top 3. Use the never improved upon Creighton Audette Load Development Method. Since the 30-30 is a Close-Up cartridge, shoot the groups at 100-125yds instead of 300yds.

If you stick with the Loads shown in the Manuals and watch for the usual Pressure Indicators, you will find the "Best Load" for your rifle.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
For your 150 gr bullets, I would start at 30 grs Varget and work up.

I am actually loading 30 grs of Varget behind a 170 gr Corelokt, and I am getting great accuracy.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mainly want use 150 for deer lets say out to 200 yards. They other bullets I just have, they were free. I do got some 165 hornadys. As for the powders thats all I got. Another pound or 2 of powder won't hurt if I would have to get some. I remember loading 110 sierra hollowpoint with imr 4320 gave 1 inch group at 100yds forget how much grains I used its in my notes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "load" for the 30-30 if you can call it that,
in a single long session after development
I loaded 350rounds, should last me several years
Remington cases, 30grs of IMR3031 and a 170gr Nosler Solid base (these haven't been made for 15-ish years but I still have a couple hundred)

Once I find something that works I don't spend a whole lot of time reinventing the wheel.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try 30.0 grs. of imr 3031 it will work.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote