THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Question for anyone with the newest Hornady manual...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for anyone with the newest Hornady manual...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
I'm curious as to what C.O.L. the Hornady manual specifies for the 130-gr. SST (not the Interlock) in the .270 Win.

Thanks for any info.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
For what its worth--I've experimented alot with the 30 cal sst's. I've found if I set them right at the bottom of the canelure I'm
very close to the rifling on most guns. Of course if you're going to crimp them you have to be in the middle. I wish the hornady's were as streamlined as the nosler bt's or the swift scirroco but, hey, that may have something to do with their good performance too?? Usually it's ez to make a tool to check seating depth by taking a fired round and putting just enough "squeeze" on the case mouth to be able to seat a bullet with your fingers yet have it slip in and out. You can then chamber the round and see how far the bullet
was pushed back by the rifling. Take a couple measurements though and make sure they are consistant. After you've made a few of these up you'll get a feel for doing it in other calibers.

<OKShooter>
posted
The COL specified for both the 130 gr. SST and SP is 3.180".

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

OKShooter:
Oddly enough, my old copy of Hornady LoadNotes for the .270 Win. specifies a C.O.L. for the 130-gr. SP as 3.275". I wonder if they've changed the ogive on the 130-gr. SP to match that of the SST. Any thoughts?

Also, a C.O.L. of 3.180" puts the SST's cannelure a good bit down in the neck of my brass (trimmed to 2.53"). In fact, at 3.200", the cannelure's already out of sight. I don't crimp, but it just seems strange that the recommended C.O.L. would prevent someone from using the cannelure. Again, any thoughts?

Thanks,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<jagtip>
posted
I'd phone Hornady.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jagtip:
I'd phone Hornady.

Yeah, I e-mailed them this morning. It being Sunday, I didn't figure anyone would be there to answer the phone, though.

Thanks,
RSY

<OKShooter>
posted
RSY -- As you know, the nominal max COL of the 270 Win is 3.340". My thought is that the 3.180" COL specified in the manual, page 253, is a misprint. My next thought is that the cannelure on the SST looks to be pretty far forward -- much farther forward than on their 140 gr. BTSP. (Since I don't now own a 270 Win, I don't have any of these 27 caliber bullets on hand, so I am going by the photo in the manual.)

An interesting thing becomes apparent if one looks at the specs for the 280 Remington (page 281). They are showing an COL of 3.345" with all of their 139 gr. bullets. The nominal max COL of the 280 Remington is 3.330". (Keep in mind, the 139/140 gr. 7mm bullet is about the same as the 130 gr. 27 caliber bullet.)

My initial guess is that the Hornady bullets should wind up with a COL of about 3.240" if you seat to the cannelure, but why don't you seat a bullet out so that it enages the lands and go from there?

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKShooter:
RSY -- My thought is that the 3.180" COL specified in the manual, page 253, is a misprint. My next thought is that the cannelure on the SST looks to be pretty far forward -- much farther forward than on their 140 gr. BTSP.

The scary thing is, it may not be a misprint. Last year, with my first batch of SST's I seated to the middle of the cannelure just to start with. Well, I could hardly chamber any of the rounds in my rifle. I wound up having to seat down to 3.2" to get chambering with any kind of ease.

Oh, and I ran and checked the cannelures on the two bullets you mentioned and they are basically the exact same distance from the base on both, though the SST's cannelure is wider than the 140 Interlock's.

I think it's getting to be time I broke down and bought a Chamber-All gauge.

Thanks for taking the time.

RSY

<Johnny B>
posted
I took afew measurements on these 3 hornady .277 dia. bullets (130 SST, 140gr SPBT, & 150gr SP). The Hornady SST 130 gr .277 dia. is .680" from the top of the cannelure to the tip (cannelure width is .048" for all these bullets), add that to the case trim length of 2.530" and you get a COL of 3.21", so the 3.18 is too short for the SST using the cannelure to crimp into and it is just too short anyway. I seat my SST in my .270 to give a COL of 3.235". I could go a little longer as this is .03" from the lands.

Now the 140gr hornady bullet is .650" from the top of the cannelure to the tip, add that to the 2.530" and your COL is 3.18"; the book recommends a COL of 3.20", so thats ok. The 150gr hornady bullet is .625" top of cannelure to the tip, giveing a COL of 3.155" if using the cannelure at its top. The book gives a COL of 3.18". So that is ok too.

So in summary the book SST COL of 3.18" is alittle too short. The COL should be 3.21" or longer.

<rifleman>
posted
RSY

Please post the response to your email to Hornady. I just got a box of SSTs for my 270 this week. I looked at (didn't have time to measure) my 130 gr Interlocks and SSTs and there is quite a difference, no doubt.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
rifleman:

Well, the fat lady ain't sung yet, but here it is so far. My response to their last e-mail should have been "Well, no sh*t, Sherlock!"

Most recent e-mail is at the top, so start at the bottom and work your way up.

RSY

Subject: RE: Question re: 130-gr. .270 Win. bullets...
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:25:23 -0600
To: <snmyeag@flash.net>

I'll have to have a technical person get back to you.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 6:45 AM
To: Webmaster
Subject: Re: Question re: 130-gr. .270 Win. bullets...

Thanks for the reply. However, if I do load 130-gr. SST's down to 3.180", the cannelure disappears down the neck of the case (trimmed to 2.53"). How can this be correct? It appears that 3.180" is a mis-print. 3.280" sounds more reasonable, since 3.275" was the earlier printed number. Unless, of course, the bullet was re-designed recently, as I asked in my initial question.

Thanks, again,
RSY

Webmaster wrote:

Our load notes for the 270 130 grain bullet show 3.200 and our new books shows. 3.180. Not a big deal. You should always use the current data and the load notes are from our Fourth Edition handbook. We current sell our Fifth Edition.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 9:59 AM
To: webmaster@hornady.com
Subject: Question re: 130-gr. .270 Win. bullets...

Hello, from Texas:

Something is baffling me, and I'm hoping you can help.

I have an old copy of LoadNotes for the .270 Win., and in it, it specifies a COL of 3.275" for the 130-gr. Interlock load. But now I see the COL has been reduced to 3.180" in the newest manual. What happened? Was the ogive changed and cannelure moved in the recent past on these bullets? What other .277" bullets has this occurred with? I'm wondering if I should quit using this copy of LoadNotes? I also have a copy for .308 Win.

Thanks,
RSY

one of us
posted Hide Post
While we're on the subject...what is the BC of the 130 gr. SST's for the 270??

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I like Hornady bullets, and have used them extensively, their customer relations leaves much to be desired. As you can see, when you make inquiries the person who answers you seems fairly clueless. Here is a reloading company that will not post the B.C. or S.D. of its main product, bullets, on its website. My several mentions of this to them have yielded ZERO results.

Then you have to deal with their attitude, which is nicely summarized in some of their statements on their website, and alluded to in the correspondance cited above, that the customer is trying to get over on them by asking for FREE stuff, which might include loading data for the bullets they are trying to get you to buy. Apparently this "getting over" also includes basic information about the use of their products.

When you write or email them with observations or comments about their products, they generally ignore you. And you can take all kinds of game all over the world and use their bullets, but they will hardly ever acknowledge you. And forget about getting into their catalog if you hunt overseas.

A good joke is that they encourage the shooter to join their "Power Club". Then they send you an offer to buy "up to 2 boxes" of their Light or Heavy Mag ammunition at a "special price" for a "limited time". Meanwhile, you can just call Graf & Sons or Cabela's and get the same ammo for LESS, any day of the week.

They have a very Madison Avenue brochure, but the personal angle is ignored.

Contrast them with Sierra Bullets. These people bend over backwards to help you, thereby encouraging the consumer of their products to use more. Smart. They publish a newsletter 4 times a year with reloading and technical info. They have a FAQ section on their website with technical info. They publish all their B.C.s and S.D.s. And they have a staff of at least 5 guys who are experienced reloaders, shooter and/or hunters, who will answer your email or phone call promptly with accurate information.

Now that is a good company to deal with.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<rifleman>
posted
RSY,

You might also ask what color her/his hair is! Duh?!?!

Dave

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
The business world is a funny place. You have hornady who seems to be on the cutting edge of new products. The sst, light magnum reloadings, probably without a doubt the best "non premium" bullet out there. BUT apparently the customer service is not there.

Then you have sierra who I agree has great customer service but, their bullets just don't seem "up to speed". They have changed virtually nothing in the last 10 years. All these new laser beam magnums have come along and they still have bullets that are marginal for holding up in our good old calibers. Sounds like one company should throw a little money to customer service and the other should throw a little more towards product developement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, I think you are a bit far afield about the effectiveness of Sierra bullets. Check out a related thread in this forum in another section - - there are legions of very satisfied big game hunters using Sierra Bullets.

Their bullets are not all the same, there are differing core and jacket constructions that perhaps they do not advertise as well as they should. For example, the .308 200 grain SBT has a 3% anitmony core and is a fairly hard bullet for standard construction. Launched at .300 Win Mag velocities it has an excellent reputation on large game. I have used it with great success in Africa on plains game.

Sierra hasn't changed their designs because there is no need to. Those who place a premium on accuracy and reasonable bullet performace are very satisfied, and Sierra is doing very well with what they have offered for years: reliable performance. Why change a winner?

Those who are "super-premium" addicts and buy into that nonsense will never be happy with Sierra. The current craze for high-priced "virtual solids" that are lacking in accuracy and/or velocity and foul your bore to no end is the product of media hype. The rest of us just keep buying our Sierras and Hornadys... and shooting more.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
OK, I don't want to get hit by any sierra bullet at any range with any gun. BUT- I'm reading too many posts from people with bullet failures to have confidence in them anymore. Gosh you read the great posts on the hornady's and they just far outnumber any good said about sierra. As far as I can tell the only thing that holds a hornady together over a sierra is the cannelure. BUT, to me the fact remains that the sierra name is just continually sliding in the hunting bullet category. I have a marketing major and if I was sierra I'd be doing something to upgrade the hunting bullet image. Maybe the hunting bullet line is better than it's "rap" but in this fast changing world you need to make upgrades every 5-8 years minimum or others will pass you by. I think with the new bullets coming down the line from JRP, GS customs, etc. the bullet world is about to be turned upside down. I'd like to see Sierra doing something besides advertising their bullet technicians wearing Davy Crocket hats.