THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Anyone see Jamison's Article on Bonded Bullets

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone see Jamison's Article on Bonded Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sorry Jon,

Shooting Times.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe he wants us to think for ourselves--sounds like everyone would pounce on him if he did favor something--now he gets pounced on for letting us pick our own "flavor" based on his actual pictures of tests. Seems to me he did a fair job. I found it interesting. The swift a-frame and trophy bonded look to me to still be a hard act to beat after all these years.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the magazine last night but only had time to browse through the pictures. Looks like he is a Scirocco fan from the way the tests came out...at least as far as the aerodynamic bonded bullets go. Anyone else see it...what are your thoughts?

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which magazine?

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, I saw it. He does appear to favor the Scirocco, but in all fairness he pretty much likes all the bonded bullets. I've used the Scirocco in my .300 Wby, but didn't much care for it. It opens up way too much for my taste and copper fouls the barrel an awful lot too. I think it's much better suited for a milder cartridge.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Very nice article. I enjoyed it, very well documented and presented...yes I know, many people here are not fans of Rick's work.

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300winnie,

As most of you know, I am one of the more vocal critics of Jamison and nothing has changed my mind on that. I have not read this article but have read others he has writen on the subject and he really does like those very spendy Swift bullets.

In my mind, of the tipped jacketed bullets, the Accubonds are the best hands down, here is why I like the Accubond bullets:

They are in heavy for caliber weights which is a benifit not only in B.C. but also in limiting expansion and increasing penetration in a straight line.

They also foul no more then the standard Ballistic Tip.

They are not a sticky bullet so pressures will not rise prematurely due to bore friction.

They do not expant to a huge frontal area like the Swift and even Hornady bullets will for better penetration.

The reasons I do not like the swifts are that, first off, they are expensive as hell for a tipped bullet. They will expand to a very larger frontal area which is very bad for penetration and they can not be loaded to top velocities because they are a sticky bullet which also fouls excessively.

The reasons I do not care for the Hornady is that they are in relatively light weights and also over expand.

From the testing I have done, the Accubond bullets will penetrate almost equally to the same weight partiton brothers.

As far as Jamison, I will let you know if I read the article.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found the most interesting thing was he actually computed the "REAL BC" of each bullet by tracking how fast they slowed down. So much for the manufacturer's loading data on that subject. The only ones close was the Hornady and Swift.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read the article with interest, noting he did not speak about the North Forks, which I shoot almost exclusively now. I have always wondered how they choose the bullets they write about, looks to me like they should talk about all of them is they are really covering the subject. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, 300.

So he measured the BC's? Damn, I need to pick this magazine up.

martinbns,

I don't have the article yet, but it's likely the numbers he gave were the actual BC's he measured--not corrected for atmospheric conditions. The manufacturers are supposed to advertise a BC that is corrected to standard conditions, it's up to you to adjust that to your particular conditions (altitude, baro, temp & humidity). This is the same thing auto manufacturers do with the Horsepower in your truck. Had he performed the test on a hot day in Denver, all the bullets would have measured at a much higher BC. But his truck would have had less power.

That doesn't make the data any less usefull, however. What you want to do is look at the numbers relative to one another (the Scirocco's BC is X% higher than the A-Frame's, etc). And if he lists all the conditions, you can correct them to standard yourself.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I recently wetpack tested some NABs & HIBs in my .280. I found the 160grNAB performs very much like the partition. The Hornady expands way too fast & penetration suffers ALOT. Plus, I can't make them shoot worth a crap in my .280 & it likes every bullet I have ever put through it including 154gr Hornady SP.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote