THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .358-caliber Nosler Ballistic Tips for Elk?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted
GAHunter,

The 225 grain BT's are in fact much tougher then sub 30 caliber bullets. The jacket is thicker. They are, for me, the most accurate bullets in the 35 Whelen. Shot the first 3 shot group with them out of the Rem CDL into 3/4". Velocity was 2675 fps out of the 24" barrel.

May I recommend the Barnes X bullets for your larger game hunting needs. Though, for most shots the BT will work well, the BX will work form any angle and shot only slightly larger groups then the BT.

BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 35 Whelan improved. I have used that bullets on deer and caribou. WOrked awsome on both. I shot a caribou at 380 yards. 1 shot. I have read that from .338 on up Nosler makes the ballistic tip a bit tougher. I would not have a problem with using it on elk.

Posts: 53 | Location: International Falls,MN | Registered: 11 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper ----- I have two STA's and have used them from Alaska to Colorado to Africa. I have taken Elk, Caribou, Deer, Zebra, Hartebeest, and Impala with my STA's. I got interested when I read an article by Layne Simpson who invented the chambering along with Kenny Jarrett. The original idea was to come up with the perfect big Bear rifle. With the larger bullets available from 310 grain Woodleigh to 270 grain North Fork I would have to say I agree. I load the 270 grain North Fork to 2950 fps in one of my rifles and 2850 in the other both with pin point accuracy. I also shoot a 225 grain bullet 3200 fps, giving much great ballistics in the open country. The Winchester Custom Shop produced 58 rifles for A-Square company a few years ago and I managed to get one, my second STA is a custom built by a gunsmith for his son using a Model 70 action on a Lilja barrel. Both rifles shoot extremely well when I do my part. My son was shooting one of my STA's last year and shot through both shoulders of a Bull Elk and killed a cow 20 yards behind it. My PH was recently impressed with my STA in Africa and commented about it. I have shot Nosler Partitions, Barnes X, Swift A-Frame, North Fork bullets through my rifles and the North Fork really stand out for accuracy and penetration. For the larger game the .358 STA is truly a coming round in my opinion. It is still a wildcat but Norsler, Barnes, Swift are publishing the reloading information in their new books and I think in the future you will see the chambering offered in a factory rifle. I have a copy of the Simpson article if you or anyong should want a copy. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote