New
Find
Notify
Tools

? for users of Lee Factory Dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have used the Lee Factory Crimp dies on bullets with Cannelures, and been pleased. Now, I'd like to load some Speer 120 gr bullets, they have no cannelure.

Speer reccommends AGAINST using the Lee Factory Crimp on bullets that have no crimp groove, saying it can/will affect accuracy.

Have you used the Lee Fact Crimp on smooth bullets, and how did it work out??

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have regularly used the Lee die on no-cannelure bullets. I adjust the die out so that the crimp is tight, but doesn't "bend" the bullet. A wee bit of practice and you're good to go. I did a fair bit of accuracy testing with uncannelured bullets, shooting them uncrimped, crimped with no deformation of the bullet, and crimped so hard that I did slightly deform the bullet. I couldn't tell any difference between the first 2 and never did decide whether there was a drop in accuracy on the third. Maybe there was, and maybe I was just 'off.'

I suspect that if I ever start using a bullet a lot that doesn't have a cannelure, or has one in the wrong place, I'd probably go whole hog and buy one of those cannelure-cutting tools. So far, though, I've done well without one.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I think Lee calls it a Factory Crimp Die,
so I guess the factory loads are crimped in
the same way. I tried a few and as the accuracy
wasn't increased I now usually don't bother.
Yesterday I pulled a Win factory round, and
the bullet had the same crimp "dimple" mark
left by Lee dies. It didn't hurt thoes bullets, as they were about the most accurate
factory loads I've fired.
Some bullet manufactures may prefer their bullets untouched, but once you own them you can try Lee crimps, gradually increasing the
pressure.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee FCD for all of my calibers. None of my bullets have cannelures on them and the FCD works great. Improved accuracy in all rifles tested.
Here is a little test by Saeed using the Lee FCD.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to info printed that is included in the Lee Reloading Die sets; "Speer advises that Speer bullets should not be used with certain Lee Dies. All other brands work great!" I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die with all of my bullets including Speer. Sometimes I wonder if certain bullets have what appears to be a crimp groove to help prevent the jacket from seperating from the core. As far as a "bend" in the bullet due to excessive crimp; it's true. Pull a bullet in a factory load and you will see a slight deformation or crimp indentation . It's probably slight compared to the stresses on the bullet created by pressure and compression in the bore.

Success is 99% determination.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. Looks to me like I should be OK using the FCD on smooth bullets.

I'll give it a go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did an 80 load test in 308, crimped vs uncrimped, and in all the loads but one, crimping improved the accuracy. Now that was just one rifle and caliber, so I won't speak for others until I've tested them as well, but it made a believer out of me, at least as far as trying it whenever I can. - Dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Be aware that Lee makes 2 totally different kinds of "Factory Crimp dies" : pistols (I don't know about that one) and rifles (which uses a collet to crimp the neck into the bullet.

Since you mentioned a 120gr bullet, I am guessing we are talking rifle?

In any case, I can tell you that the Factory crimp die for my .375 H&H Mag solved the problem of recoil pushing the bullets deeper into the case, and it improved accuracy (possibly by retarding bullet movement until ignition was going better).

I like em!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee FCD on alot of smooth nullets in several diff. cals, They work great.

You really dont need to crimp them too tight. If you want to see what it does, crimp a couple at different pressures and then pull the bullet alittle w/ a puller. If you crimp em' too hard it'll put a heck of a dimple in em'.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who calls my Lee Factory Crimp Die a "Bopeel Pocket Fisherman".

I think that the .223 benefits for reliability in an AR15 with the LFC.

I think Speer and Lee can't get along, it doesn't mean we should take what they say seriously.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark, I think you hit the nail on the head, saying Speer and Lee can't get along.

I'd read awhile back that these two had a long-running feud, and it appears to still be running. Perhaps because RCBS and Speer are sister companies??

I believe they are both owned by ATK, and previously were both owned by Blount.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not use speer bullets for any thing!!!
Lee crimp dies work fine on everything else. thumb

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
speer does indeed dislike lee, I'm not quite sure why, I have never seen lee give speer any grief. rcbs did sue lee and make them quit selling rcbs-green equipment. what was lee thinking, letting people match their tools? the nerve!

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's probably slight compared to the stresses on the bullet created by pressure and compression in the bore.

LeeOtis has it about right as you can get it. After a hardcore reloading session a few months ago I was plagued by doubts about how much powder was in one batch of MatchKings. So I pulled a few to measure the charge and noted a distinct ring from the Lee crimper. The charge was OK, the bullets flew true.

I've since crimped a little lighter, but so far it's made no difference whether I put a heavy or light crimp on. I always crimp because I feel it's a good idea in the field with a mag full of rounds. Might as well test the loads as close to real life as possible.

When I mention a cartridge,the rifles involved:
22LR Cooey SingleShot | 22 Hornet 40sCZ | 223Rem CZ 527 Varmint
30-06 Husqvarna Sporter | 300 WinMag A-BoltII S/S BOSS | 458 WinMag Ruger #1

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee in my opinion, is sort of an oddball brand.
They have a lot of good and interesting ideas, but their fit and finish can be not as good as say RCBS.
The biggest problem I can day about Lee is that they are very reclusive. A good argument for this is that they have never once attended a SHOT Show in the 27 years it has been going on.

I think this leads people to come to their own conclusions about their products based on what other people say, not necessarily what Lee thinks.

So, by not communicating to dealers etc what their products are all about, through letting people use their stuff, it ends up with these threads where opinions and experiences can vary from person to person.

You compare this to other reloading companies such as RCBS, Hornady, Lyman etc. and I think the consumer has a much clearer pisture about what there brands offer and how their stuff works than people know about Lee products.

Does that make any sense? bewildered

-Spencer