New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tumbling Media----corn cob or walnut?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which do you use and why? Treated or untreated?
Where do you buy it?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB,

I use a very fine corncob. Its so fine its soft and fluffy! I got it from my Dad, who got it from a taxidermist who used it for tumbling bird skins (I think as it had feathers in it). It is fine enough that it doesn't clog flash holes. I treat it only with a red rouge powder. I don't remember where I got the rouge.

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill
I use both, whichever is available at the time,corncob is cheaper but walnut lasts longer,other than that I can't see any real difference.
Medium grit corncob is sold here at pet stores as animal bedding, it is big enough to stay out of flash holes.
Medium grit walnut is sold here at industrial supply stores and it is "usually" big enough to stay out of flash holes.
I no longer use red rouge as I prefer Brasso brand brass polish sold in supermarkets.
I found rouge tended to build up whereas Brasso doesn't.
Guy

Posts: 73 | Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Think Brasso is not very good chemically. Been using plain old liquid Turtle Wax in walnut media for several years now with good results. Just run your tumbler for about 15 minutes after adding the liquid or you are in for a mess.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the rouge does tend to build up as Guy said. That is a drawback.

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill..
I use both at the same time. The walnut seems to clean faster, but the cob polishes better. Together they get the job done well within an hour. This combo even works great on black-powder smudged 45-70 cases.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
Glad to see this topic. I just bought some green Lyman corncob media. For God's sake, don't tell my farmer father-in-law I just paid $4.50 a pound for cobs.

And the stuff gets stuck in the flash-holes. I am picking it out with a toothpick, and I'm not happy.

Any solutions?

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

We use both but favor corn cob.

It does not leave any film on the brass. We get ours from Sinclairs, Cabela's, etc. Whoever has the best price at the time.

Yes, we do have to clean flash holes, but consider that just part of the process. It also does a great job of dressing up our home rolled moly coated bullets after they are waxed. We got that idea from Saeed.

Cheers,

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get ground walnut shells (50lbs) from our local feed store for $15. Guess what I use. Ground walnut is also used in abrasive cleaning (aka sandblasting).

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Walnut is best for really knarly brass. Corn cob with a touch of Lyman turbo polish makes nice new looking brass.

Posts: 1494 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a corn cob fan, either the Lyman's green stuff or the ground cobs from www.MidwayUSA.com

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
i use walnut treated with mineral spirits. seems to clean really well. i use a spray bottle to add the spirits while the tumbler is running(no cases).

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Buliwyf>
posted
I prefer corn cob by itself. I do not use rouge anymore.

B

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For years I have used fine to medium, fine will stick in flash holes much worse, crushed walnut hulls mixed with jewelers rouge. This will not only clean your brass but will make it look new!

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use whatever and let it run for 3-4hrs. Anything will make it look new after that long in the vibrator. I just go work on a honey-do, and come back later to empty the machine.

I deprime after cleaning, then uniform the flash hole.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mix green cob treated with turbo charge, with walnut and rouge, 50/50. I run my shells for about 1 1/2 hours. They come out looking better than any new brass I have ever seen. I do have to wipe them down with alcohol to remove the red residue though.

Posts: 53 | Location: pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote