Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Good 150 grn loads for a 30-06 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
I use 50.5grs. of Varget getting 2919fps from 22" bbl, accuracy avg is 3/4" @100yds. with 150 Bal. tips, next powder I try will be RE15, should give a bit more velocity than Varget, though 2900fps is plenty, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can do 2800 fps in a .308win from a 20", I know you can do better with a 30-06! I like 52.5gr's of IMR-4064, should do over 2800 in a 20".

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is sure to start a fight, but I am of the opinion there isn't a great 150 grain load for the '06; not because of the cartridge, but because of the S/D those bullets offer. My experience with them ended more than 20 years ago because I got tired of the big holes those bullets left. It's the same complaint I have about the 130's in the 270, BIG HOLES. This happens when bullets with low S/D's are driven fast, but in the BAR with a 20"bbl, you may not have that problem. On the other hand, if you load them to the same pressures as used by the 270, they will behave in the same manner. That's been my experience with 'em.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
52.5gr IMR 4064.

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Jay, the 62.0 gr. load is as per an older Hogdon manual. It gives sub 3/4" grous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your BAR may have a problem digesting loads, even moderate ones, with relatively "slower" powders due to excessive pressures at the gas port. This can cause stess or failure of the operating system.

I would recommend using nothing slower than IMR 4064 or 4895. Those, or similar, powders should give about the best performance in your 20" barrel and still keep port pressures in the proper range.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure on my calculations, but doesn't every inch of barrel give a bullet some where between 50 and 25 fPS. If the barrel you have is slow and you reduce the length it wold seem 2800 fps would be about right. LLB

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

This is sure to start a fight, but I am of the opinion there isn't a great 150 grain load for the '06; not because of the cartridge, but because of the S/D those bullets offer. My experience with them ended more than 20 years ago because I got tired of the big holes those bullets left. It's the same complaint I have about the 130's in the 270, BIG HOLES. This happens when bullets with low S/D's are driven fast, but in the BAR with a 20"bbl, you may not have that problem. On the other hand, if you load them to the same pressures as used by the 270, they will behave in the same manner. That's been my experience with 'em.

Try a tougher bullet like the Nosler Partition. With RL19 I get very good performance, both precision as well as performance wise.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote