New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moly and Eds Red...
 Login/Join

<Mudruck>
posted
Anyone know if Eds Red will remove the moly coating on the bore?

Mudruck

------------------
"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America - because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" - CHESTY PULLER, USMC
------------------
Utah Varminters Association http://www.armscenter.com/uva

<Multi Vis>
posted
No Eds Red will not remove the moly coating in a barrel. It only removes powder fouling.
MV

<Scott H>
posted
I mixed up a batch of Ed's Red and substituted Kroil for the Kerosene. It works fine with moly. It leaves the Moly in the bore. I usualy follow up with a light film of homemade moly grease for long term storage. (petroleum jelly and moly powder mixed very very thick) I dab a little film on a tight patch and push it through. At the range I fire one 'fouler' and she is ready to go.

I still use a Kroil/Shooter's choice mix every so often to get rid of jacket fouling. If you don't have a premium barrel, you will get some copper even with moly.

P.S. I only substituted Kroil because I had some on hand and didn't have Kerosene. Regular Ed's works fine also.

[This message has been edited by Scott H (edited 04-01-2002).]

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

I have used a lot of different solvents and combinations of Kroil and solvents for cleaning moly barrels. (That is �cleaning� moly, not removing moly.) The best that I have found for copper/powder fouling removal is Butch's Bore Shine. It will not remove the moly, only copper and powder fouling.

To remove moly, the quickest and safest way is a patch of JB Bore Paste and 30 or so full strokes follwed by an application of Sweets. It takes one or two rounds and the moly is gone. I then use a healty coating of Butch's Oil or BreakFree to protect the barrel until I am ready to re-burnish with moly.

To re-burnish the barrel, I use Midways Moly Bore Prep. It saves a lot of time and shooting to prep the bore again for moly. Using the bore prep ensures that no copper is trapped below the moly.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<TomJ>
posted
The only way I have found to remove Moly is with Brake Cleaner.