THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: .270 Cast Bullets in Canada (I Hate Patriot Act2)

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .270 Cast Bullets in Canada (I Hate Patriot Act2)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
jgnfld, pard;

Actually, I HAVE a Lee 270-130 mould which is languishing unloved on my bench, since I now have a couple other designs whch work a bit better in my rifles.

If you decide to proceed with casting your own, I'll donate this mould for your use, no charge whatever. I'd rather see it put to good use instead of having it sitting around.

Let me know what you decide, but there's no rush. The mould isn't going anywhere in the near future.

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm truly touched. As I said, Lee does not seem to sell one now in that size.

Before I decide, what else would I need? A sizer die apparently. (These mount on a single stage press???) An iron pot--could scare one up at a flea market, I guess, or an Army/Navy store. Ladle? (Or is the mold dipped?) And some consumables like lube.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I probably would agree about the "rant" except for your stated "sarcasm", and whining about your problem being our fault. I understand his point perfectly.

I give not a tiny damn about the laws enacted in another country, and have no sympathy regarding the effect our laws have on same. Canada is not a suburb of the USA, nor the other way around. It is unfortunate for those living there that they have submitted to the tryanny of the majority from all appearances. Perhaps you SHOULD let Quebec gain it's independence...

As to the problem, I can't imagine there being restrictions on shipping moulds across the line. There are a big plenty mould makers out there, have one made custom if necessary. Lyman makes at least 4: #280468(122 gr), #280473(124 gr), #280412(136 gr) and#280411(138gr), all weights based on Lyman #2 alloy. If there are restrictions, it is not all that difficult for a competent machinist to start a new product line within the borders of Canada, unless Canada has laws against that.

As stated above sizing 7mm bullets(lead) down to suitable diameter is viable but will likely produce bullets that are not terribly accurate. Also as stated above, it sounds like one heck of an opportunity in Canada if your supply of US manf. jacketed bullets has been cut off. There are a number of companies outside the US making quality jacketed bullets BTW.

Good luck.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you decide to go with a 7mm (.284) cast bullet and can find a Lyman or RCBS lubesizer, you can order a sizing die at .280 from Huntington or Stillwell Tool, so less sizing will be necessary. Both my 270 rifles have groove diameters of .278, and will easily chamber and shoot a .280 sized cast bullet. For that matter, if you get a 270 mold and it casts a little oversize, I would use a .280 sizer anyway.

Phil S.

Posts: 28 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
'our' is me too. I'm not a Canadian citizen, I'm US. Does that make me qualified to rant, now? I didn't want to invoke the citizenship issue as I see this as a larger issue than that. [Trust me, I've ranted PLENTY about CDN gun legislation too!]

I'm not sure you understand this is an EXPORT control--i.e., US law, not an import control. And I still say that this export control does nothing whatever to save US lives. Bullets are a world commodity item. It does hurt some US businesses. Beartooth quoted me 20% of his. He did not sound very happy about it either, I can tell you. Last, it does not affect the large manufacturers, they can afford to fill out the paperwork to export to wholesalers in other countries like Canada. It affects the smallscale outfits and the mail order outfits. This is not a good sign for innovation and progress among other things.

And it's stupid.

----

Re. the rest of your post I may go the route of casting myself. The kids in the house is still an issue for me.

I appreciate the kind thoughts of many expressed here.

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Last, it does not affect the large manufacturers, they can afford to fill out the paperwork to export to wholesalers in other countries like Canada.

Actually some big firearms related companies like Midway and Brownell have sent out notices they are restricting shipping to Canada due to the new American export laws.

The bright side, if there is one, is that many small Canadian companies that could not compete against the huge volume , and low profit margin, of American producers, have increased production and are now enjoying a larger market share than they did before.

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand perfectly that it is an export issue. If you're in Canada you're looking at the world from their view and subject to their laws, and all the attendant baggage.

Questions: When you cross the border, do you get searched by US Custom when you go into Canada? Does Canada enforce US Law? I'm not telling you what to do...

Suggestion: There are a lot of better cartridges out there for lead shooting than the .270 WCF, and they likely will have a better variety of moulds or bullets you can purchase, the 45-70 comes to mind. If you cast bullets, do it outside, kids or no. Nobody profits from lead vapors inhaled, regardless of age.

Comments: Perhaps we should have mentioned to the 911 gang that their actions were likely to produce response not always perceived as rational by those downstream. Bullet makers are not the only businesses that have suffered from this, PA-1 & PA-2 notwithstanding. Think of the boxcutter makers! The French businesses in Iraq! My God man, the list is endless.

Within the format of your original post nothing ID's you as anything other than a Canadian resident/citizen. In that context I understood perfectly the minor explosion visited upon you by the "Ludd". Does being a US Citizen entitle you to rant? No, the 1st Amendment does that. It also allows you to contact your Congressional Representatives regarding this matter, a forum that may in fact do some good. Lastly, it enables you to step on somebody elses tripwire when you don't really mean to.

BTW, your country is at war, in a way never known to us before. Your enemies are around you, much closer than you think, and far more deadly than most realize. The Israelis realize it of course, probably someday our people will too. Give the bureaucrats a LITTLE slack, they're still trying to figure this crap out. I mean, would you REALLY want Al Gore at the helm for this...mess? Or JFK?

Don't mean to sound like a pompous ass, how'm I doin'?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm told by fellow Canadians, DD, that in fact the US customs ARE searching vehicles leaving. The CDN customs side don't care what you bring back (as long as it's within the law). Now, I hear that this is only happening in BC and Ontario (think California and New York, respectively for referance). And as for the "we're at war" thing, we have our troops in some of those places as well, and any politician who believes that Osama and the boys are sitting in a cave casting 277 bullets that they snuck through Canada has his head so far up his ass he can see Kerry. 'Course, that's just some Canucks viewpoint, so what the hell. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote