Find
Notify
Tools

.33 Winchester from .30-40 Krag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
Can .33 Win be reformed from .30-40 Krag? Or do I have to use .45-70? If it is all that complicated,turned cases etc, then is there a source of .33 brass? Thanks Pak [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use uncannelured .45-70 as the parent for forming .33 WCF. If you do not have the expensive form set, you can use a .40-65 and/or .38-56 die as an intermediate die.
If you must form with only a .33 die set, do not anneal first, lest you collapse cases. I used my seating die as a first step to reduce the accordian shoulder syndrome. I lost a lot of cases before I was able to borrow a .38-55 WCF die. Size in small bites and be thorough, but sparce with the lube.
Buffalo Arms lists formed .33 WCF as $50.00 per hundred.
It is not often mentioned that the .45-70 brass is not quite as strong as the original .33 WCF, but it works fine.
Cheers from Grayest California,
Ross

[ 02-01-2003, 00:08: Message edited by: Ross ]

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's not all that complicated; BUT it's very time consuming to get it all working right. If you need a small number of cases buy them already formed. I've got a box of unfired cases that I'll turn loose of if your interested.

Posts: 17 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote