New
Find
Notify
Tools

out of round cases
 Login/Join

<heavy varmint>
posted
While checking for bullet run out by rolling my cases across a mirror I noted that my bullets seemed to be fine but my cases wobbled. I put the guage to them and all of them were out of round by about 5 thousandths just behind the shoulder but were round the rest of the way down to the head. These cases were full length sized and were lubed outside and inside the neck. They have been full length or partial sized 7 times. Do these cases need tossed or is there a problem with my dies.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Roll a couple before you run them through the die, but after they have been fired...

Then turn your die out a tad, and run the cases through it...and roll them on the mirror again...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also size the cases with the expander plug removed from the die. It is possible that it may be slightly tweaked which could throw off your neck and shoulder of the case when it is pulled over tha plug and out of the die.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be sure you are not bumping the crimping taper. It will buckle the shoulder.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<hotdog>
posted
It sounds to me like you're not squaring your dies when you're sizing. slide a metal washer in between the shellholder and and die use light pressure and set your lock ring. Your die is squared in press and you're ready to load luck hotdog.