Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 browning 165 reloading tip
 Login/Join

posted
i have recently bought a browning light-weight stalker 30-06 with a camo finish. i really like this gun because of the looks and feel of the gun, but i cant find a load for a nosler 165 ballistic tip that will shoot well enough to suit me. i like using imr 4350 but having trouble with this combination. i am have not tried other powders because imr has preformed for me in the past.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, welcome to extensively grey world of reloading and ballistics.
My first inclination in this situation is to try a different powder, some to consider are, IMR 4831, RL 19, RL 22, H4350, H4831, AA3100, AA4350. Another thing I did run into on one of my rifles in the past was that I had to make a change in bullet, Perhaps try a Hornady or a Speer, or a Sierra, in the bullet weight you want, the change in bearing surface and jacket hardness may de-bug your situation. Also try some different primers, and dont rule out mag primers either. On a side note, how does this rifle shoot with factory fodder? If it doesnt shoot any factory loads decently you may have a rifle that is going to require a lot of tweeking (hope not).
Good luck

Posts: 120 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 58.5 gr of 4350 before you give up.
It will give over 2900 fps. Sometimes a
Hotter load (still safe) such as this will
improve accuracy.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nutA 3006 that doesn't like 165 BTs and IMR4350? Check the scope and mount. thumb
Gene

You are who you choose to be.
Are you who you want to be?

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Jody,

You might want to give H 4831 or IMR 4831 a try. My Savage 30-06 likes the H 4831 w/ the 165s.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use 58.5 grains of H414 behind a 165 hornady SST and hornady interlock bullets. A friend of mine has is using a CCI magnum primer with 58 grains of H414 and the ballistic tip bullet with very good results. Good luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
For about twenty years, my standard 30-06 load was a 165 Nosler BT over 60 gr of H4831. I would occasional try another brand of 165 gr bullets, but was always happiest with the BT's.

This load worked well in every rifle I ever tried it in, except a Rem 742 carbine. It is a fairly mild load with good performance. And I always liked the high loading density of H4831 in the 30-06.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't use Nosler BT's, so I don't know, but are they boatails? If so, try a flat base 165 and see what happens. I've got a couple of rifles (one an '06) that won't shoot BT's for love or money.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We tested 165 BTs and SSTs into wet phonebooks,the SSTs were ever so slightly tougher.So try the Hornady SSTs or maybe go for different shape,the IBs.

More likely the gun needs a trip to the gunsmith if it won't do 165 and IMR-4350 !

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help