New
Find
Notify
Tools

120 gr. 6.5mm Sierra Pro Hunters
 Login/Join

<fishnfool>
posted
Anyone used these bullets on deer sized game and what was the results? What cartridge and velocity?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I had a 6.5 Remington Magnum and used 120 Sierras at about 3100 fps in it for deer and coyotes. Just shot it one season, but took one of each species with a single shot.

Have used the 130/.277 quite a bit, with excellent results on deer; same with the 6mm/100. Overall, I regard Sierras in these calibers and weight ranges, which are mostly a bit on the frangible side, as near perfect for whitetails. They may not ALWAYS exit like the currently in-vogue shoot-through-an-engine-block bullets, but will never fail you on a deer-sized animal and will nearly always result in a quicker kill.

Incidentally, the flat-base version will usually give better terminal performance than the boattail. The BT tends to lose the core more quickly due to the tapered base.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, 6.5x55@2750fps and 6.5-257 roberts improved@2900fps. I have not had to shoot a deer more than once with them. Good tissue damage in the vital zones. it's not the type of round that knocks them flat but they don't go far either. I will continue to use them in both those rifles and will give them a try in the 6.5-284 win when that gets home from the shop.

------------------
Endeavor to Persevere

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Yspen>
posted
Cannot say what performance on deer is ....yet , but they are very accurate in my 6,5x55. Accuracy is my primary concern .

Bn

<rolf>
posted
I use them in my 6,5x55. The velocity is around 3000 fps. The bullet is a bit fragible but thats fine by me. I use them for roedeer, which isn�t such a hard target and if I do my part they wont take one more step. As a bonus they are really accurate and the price is right. Can�t come up with one bad thing to say about them.
But remember, I use them on small deer, wouldn�t want to shoot something bigger with them.
Regards/Rolf

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used it in all of my 6.5s with great success. The 6.5x55 is about 2700fps, 6.5x284 is 2900, the 6.5-06AI is 3000 and the 264WM is 3300. I don't push any of them to the max, it's too much fun buying a bigger gun instead. I've taken several deer all with one shot with this bullet.

------------------
Larry

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
<fishnfool>
posted
Thanks to all. I've been considering using them in my 6.5-'06, but was a little leary because Sierra listed them as a varmint bullet in the fast steppers. But, I really like the Nosler Ballistic Tips and they seem very similar in expansion.

<FAINA>
posted
Hi reloaders,
Sierra Pro hunter are fine bullets that work very good on medium size deer. They do a good job at low velocity (in a 6,5x55) and also at hi velocity (264 Win mag or 6,5x68).
I find it's a right choise for all hunting 6,5 mm.
ciao
Faina