Find
Notify
Tools

Primers made a huge group difference.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well for the first time I've had a huge shift in group size caused by primers.

My wifes 7x57 will normally hold a 1 MOA 5 shot group. Hot or cold barrel it doesn't matter.

We are heating to Namibia in May so I was going to load up 4 boxes of ammo. Normally I use Rem Std primers. I had picked up some Federals to try. So I used them in her brass. Then went to the range to be sure of zero. Well I fired 5 with the Rem primer 2" high 1 moa. thumb So I tried the Federal primers. Group opened to about 3 MOA. ConfusedSo I tried again. Now 4 MOA. Mad Had three of the Rem left. right back to 1 MOA with a hot barrel. clap

So I will spend the next several hours pulling bullets, knocking out primers and reloading.

No the wife will never know I almost made a big mistake with her rifle. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod, have fun in Namibia, and take lots of pics!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've seen this happen too. I have found Fed. primers to run on the hot side & can cause spikes in vel. that aeffect accuracy. If you work up loads using the Fed. then go back to the RP, things will probably work out.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I experienced the same problem with Winchester primers being too hot and causing bad groups. Primer brands are an essential variable just like switching powders.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen this happen too. I have found Fed. primers to run on the hot side & can cause spikes in vel. that aeffect accuracy.

For about 25 years all I used was CCI & CCIm. Then I was given several 1000 large and small Rem primers a few years ago. Made the switch from CCI to the Rem and had no affect on my loads. I had heard of primers making a difference but since I normally used the same ones I had never had it happen.

With the Rem primer her rifle will group about 1.5MOA across a 2 grain range. With the best load it is a 5 shot 1MOA. Sure not going to monkey with success. She now has 4 boxes loaded with the rem primers. 140grAB at 2750 from her 22".

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm sure those will do well for her in Namibia this spring. Good luck on the hunt. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so surprised as I have shot sheaves of Federals, Winchester primers and CCI #34’s and never found any real difference in accuracy between any brand. I shoot 75 % 308 or 30-06, the remaining being .223 or whatever. There are velocity differences between brands. Many target shooters prefer milder primers, claiming better accuracy. Of course the problem in all of this is that primers are one shot devices, and people seldom chronograph everything. I think it is highly probable that your batch of Federal primers must be defective.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
No the wife will never know I almost made a big mistake with her rifle. Big Grin

I love a happy ending to a story, way to go!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it is highly probable that your batch of Federal primers must be defective

You may be 100% correct. Ran out and did a test this morning. Took the 7x57 and my wildcat. Each with three rounds with Rem, CCI and Federal primers loaded in each rifles most accurate load.

In both cases the Rem and CCI groups were close enough to be called shooter error. Groups were +/- 1/4". Velocity ranges were 25fps or less. In both rifles with the Federal primers the groups opened to the 3" range and velocity spreads were over 125fps. However the max velocity was only about 35fps higher than the other two primers.

I bought the primers second hand for $10/700. He might have had the same results. Anyway they will not be used nor resold.

308sako. Can you imagine. Trying to explain to my wife in Namibia that her rifles groups had grown 3-400% because I had gotten a "deal" on some cheap primers. Eeker

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
bought the primers second hand for $10/700. He might have had the same results.

Hmmm... Sounds as if mag primers are mixed with standard large rifle... Federal does make the hottest mag primer on the market as far as I know. This would account for the extreme velocity spread.

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds as if mag primers are mixed with standard large rifle

I would have thought the max velocity would have been higher than a 35fps increase. Major swing was to lower velocity.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
I have used Federal primers for many years, with a few exceptions. CCI for gas guns due to their harder primer cup, even before their special service rifle primer.

Any rate, there are color differences between the 215 (magnum) primer which has a green priming compound but a drop of purple die of some sort makes the compound and anvil purple on most primers; some show a bit of green through the purple.

Regular 210's appear red, as do the 210M (benchrest) primers. Interestingly enough, I found a very old (the old style smaller pkg) box of 210m's that had no purple die, just the green compound.

You might be able to tell if someone has mixed your primers by the color of the priming compound??

I have found in many cases, even in larger magnum calibers, that switching from 215's to 210M's reduced group size noticeably.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any rate, there are color differences between the 215 (magnum) primer which has a green priming compound but a drop of purple die of some sort makes the compound and anvil purple on most primers; some show a bit of green through the purple.

Regular 210's appear red,

Learns something new everyday. I looked at the remaining ones in the open box that I just loaded from. All were red.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Sounds as if mag primers are mixed with standard large rifle

I would have thought the max velocity would have been higher than a 35fps increase. Major swing was to lower velocity.

[quote]
the groups opened to the 3" range and velocity spreads were over 125fps.[quote]

My Bad... My brain focused in on that statement..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Regular 210's appear red,

Learns something new everyday. I looked at the remaining ones in the open box that I just loaded from. All were red. If you or someone else uses Federal and want these I'll ship them to you(in the US) for 50% of the store price. $6.00

[Quote]
I bought the primers second hand for $10/700. He might have had the same results.
Anyway they will not be used nor resold.[quote]

Whats wrong with this picture??

MopaneMike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well for the first time I've had a huge shift in group size caused by primers.

My wifes 7x57 will normally hold a 1 MOA 5 shot group. Hot or cold barrel it doesn't matter.

We are heating to Namibia in May so I was going to load up 4 boxes of ammo. Normally I use Rem Std primers. I had picked up some Federals to try. So I used them in her brass. Then went to the range to be sure of zero. Well I fired 5 with the Rem primer 2" high 1 moa. thumb So I tried the Federal primers. Group opened to about 3 MOA. ConfusedSo I tried again. Now 4 MOA. Mad Had three of the Rem left. right back to 1 MOA with a hot barrel. clap

So I will spend the next several hours pulling bullets, knocking out primers and reloading.

Well I did something dumb like that for my last trip to Africa. I used some Winchester primers that were 17 years old and I had two miss fires. One on a Zebra and one on a Warthog. I was lucky as I still got both animals. Never had a misfire with factory loads in this rifle. I did load them rather quickly but I am sure it was the primers.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
[Quote]
I bought the primers second hand for $10/700. He might have had the same results.
Anyway they will not be used nor resold.[quote]

Whats wrong with this picture??

Excuse me you are right. Was willing give them to someone if they wanted to try them. They are now history sitting in a bucket of water.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K