Notify
Tools

New to this Board
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WVHunter129
posted
Hello.

I am WVHunter129 and I am new to this forum. I just happened to stumble across it last night. I am new to reloading. Purchased my equipment last spring. I have done some reloading of 30-06 and have the dies to reload 303 British, 357 mag/38 special and 9mm Luger. I just have a beginners outfit. I have a Lee Anniversary press and accessories. I did purchase a RCBS 5-0-5 scale though, I like it better and I have a Lyman Accu-Trim. I have the Lee Reloading Manual, Speer, Sierra, Nosler and Hornady reloading manuals as well.

So far I like reloading and I am alway open to suggestions. I plan on trying to upgrade my press, but not sure yet of what to get. The one thing I have to watch is price. Being a family man and supporting a wife and kids takes a lot when you only have one income coming in.

I have even thought about getting a shotgun reloading outfit, but haven't really decided.

I plan on reading as much as I can here on the forum in regards to reloading. Great site as far as I can see.

WVHunter129
Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
Member National Rifle Association (NRA)

Posts: 25 | Location: Fayetteville, WV | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Welcome. I'm sure you will get a lot of useful information off of this site over the years, as there are a great many knowledgeable folks who frequent it!

As far as upgrading your press is concerned, I suggest you keep an eye on e-bay. I got an almost-new RCBS Rockchucker off of e-bay last fall for $50.00. There are sometimes some real bargains on reloading stuff on e-bay, even though they don't permit firearms any more. There are also some rip-offs. For example, someone just "won" 50 Norma 6.5X54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer empty cases on e-bay for $37.00, and I just bought 100 of them from Huntington's for $38.00! So you have to watch it!

Again, welcome. We llok forward to your contributions as well! Good shooting and have fun with your reloading!

"It seems very difficult to impress most reloaders with the fact that every rifle is an individual, and what proves to be a maximum load in one may be quite mild in another, and vice versa." Bob Hagel, GAME LOADS AND PRACTICAL BALLISTICS FOR THE AMERICAN HUNTER, 1977

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard, indeed.

El Deguello's suggestion to monitor eBay is a good one. If something comes up that interests you, post a link if you want some help evaluating it.

All the best,
RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about the forster co-ax. Best press out there, and while it may cost a bit for at first, you end up saving because you don't have to buy shell holders.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
how about the forster co-ax. Best press out there, and while it may cost a bit for at first...

Amen, brother. thumb

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site. Too bad you bought the Lee to start. that's the problem w/ Lee, is almost everyone upgrades, so you pay twice. Fortunately, well cared for presses never wear out. Watch the classifides & e-bay. The RCBS RockChucker is a great press so is the Coax. As far as shotgun reloading, unless you shoota ton of shotty ammo, it's just not worth reloading for, cost wise anyway. The same can be said for 9mm ammo & .223 fmj. Read a lot, asl a lot of questions & enjoy your new hobby. wave

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too bad you bought the Lee to start. that's the problem w/ Lee, is almost everyone upgrades, so you pay twice.

I totaly disagree, Lee offers some great products at great prices. The Lee products will load just as accurately as any on the market.

If you want a great press, I would recommend the Lee Classic Cast. The CC is a much better press than most presses costing two to three times as much. I would put it up against any single stage press in production.

Good Day,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome;if you need help reloading dont hesitate to ask,it is a great site.

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WVHunter129
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Also fellows, I understand how some people feel about the LEE equipment. So far I am pleased, especially because since I was starting out and really didn't know if it was for me or not I didn't spend a lot of money. Since I am the sole provider for the family I have to watch the pennies.

You see I have so many other hobbies that I am into like hunting, fishing, camping, walking in the woods, Amateur Radio and some amateur photography, I didn't know if I would have the time for reloading or if I would even like it.

Now if I decide to move up to a progressive press or turrent press, I then will probably box up some of my earlier stuff and hand it down to someone wanting to start into reloading. Or maybe use if at the shooting range on the back of my truck. I saw where a guy did that once, looked good. Load your ammo on the spot and try it out. If it doesn't work right load up something else.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome. I plan to try and look at earlier posts and see what information I can gather.

WVHunter129
Live to Hunt/Hunt to Live
Member National Rifle Association (NRA)

Posts: 25 | Location: Fayetteville, WV | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WV, welcome to the board. As a family man with two kids in college and one still at home i know what you mean about saving a buck or two. You have a very good setup to start out with that should last a very long time, as in earlier post watch ebay for a few bargains and enjoy the time spent at the reload bench.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote