Notify
Tools

Stiff .505 gibbs loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hdu505
posted
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find some stouter loads for my .505 gibbs. Rifle is a CZ550. Current loads show no signs of pressure.
I have tried:
125gn of H4350 pushing 525gn Hornadys BB brass and Fed 215 primers.
SAme brass / Primer Projectiles and I've tried 130gn of H4831.

All these loads are mild and pleasant to shoot. I'm just looking to push that 525gn pill a little faster. I'm only pig hunting with it, so I'm not worried about the pills disintergrating.. just want to see what she can do.

Thanks in Advance.

Posts: 35 | Location: Australia | Registered: 04 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle and I use 130gr to 134gr of RL22 for 2130fps to 2300fps for the 525gr DGX. That's about as much as I care for. RL25 will get you a bit more velocity if you want it. I use Norma brass.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Velocity are you getting ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hdu505
posted Hide Post
505. I'm unsure too tight to buy a chrony. I'll shoot it over one in the next few weeks but best guess is about 2250fps from the 130gn of adi 2213sc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there any such thing as a 505 load that isn't stiff? I shoot a 458 Lott regularly, and tried a Gibbs once. Sheesh! You guys are nuts, though I say that with respect.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hdu505
posted Hide Post
well this weekend I'm off to a mates property with a chrony, a press and a heap of brass and powder. I'll see where I can get it to. If I can get 2500 from a 525gn I'll probably call it quits.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I can get 2500 from a 525gn I'll probably call it quits.

You Aussies are a tough lot - Good on Ya. Quafe a coupla liter cans of XXXX prior to stroking the trigger and you'll be all ready to go .....

Big Grin

In all seriousness, Man, I sure wouldn't be too concerned with those 525 grainers bouncing off a Pigger, so go for all the Gusto even though you Guys have some serious Hogs Down Under.

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hdu

What does your rifle weigh ?

Mine weighs about 12 lbs.

I tend not to push mine as I see no need,
it kills well enough at about 2200 fps.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hdu505
posted Hide Post
guess It's about 11 or 12 lbs Stock standard CZ550 with conetrol rings (been on now for over 100 shots without issue) holding onto a doctor optic 1-4x25

Not doing this to try and find a better "killer" than the .505 gibbs with traditional loads. Just purely interested in what it'll do safely with modern powders.

posted Hide Post
If the bullet is leaving the rifle, you have pressure signs; just not necessarily excessive pressure signs.

Why overload a .505 Gibbs, just step on up to a 20mm Vulcan and call it good. Anyway, I'm also interested in what you find out regarding the capabilities of you and your rifle.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of hdu505
posted Hide Post
Maybe you didn't understand my earlier post. I guess if everyone was happy with standard factory ballistics and wasn't interested in seeing what could be done different cartridges development would have stopped with Elmer Keith and Roy weatherby and po ackley et al would be mere post notes in margins. Just cause you don't want to experiment thats fine but don't knock people who do.
Btw results were good until battery in rcbs scales died. We got 2400 fps off the bench very easily. Pics to follow tomorrow when I'm back at work. Pressure signs nil. Bolt lift easy, case rechambered easily and primer fine.
Side note. A mate just bought a barret .50. Man I need one of these puppies. Only hot to fire 2 rounds from it but the brake makes them very pleasant to shoot. Worse for spectators the concussion wave is extrodinary.
Will be continuing load dev in August. For anyone interested ill keep you posted.

posted Hide Post
Hey man, it's your firearm. Load that baby however you wish. I'm interested as to what you find. Although I would bet you aren't the first to tip a powder can heavy on a .505 Gibbs.

I have been told by people who knew Elmer personally, that he woke up in a pool of his own blood several times while finding out what firearms would and would not handle. So, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes, and keep me in the loop.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rather than try for higher velocities with a 525gr bullet, why not switch to a 600 grainer. Seems to me that that bullet weight has a bigger impact on game than velocity.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
please buy a chronograph, load development without it is asking for trouble.
My max loads in my cz 550 505 were 600 gr woodleigh with 142 gr IMR 7828 for 2470 fps, fed 215 primers, 80 degree F. While safe in my rifle, may not be safe in yours. Use common sense and a chronograph to develop your own max loads. By the time typical pressure signs develop (flat primers, sticky bolt lift) you have already exceeded max SAAMI pressures in most cases. Back off a bit for safe loads.

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote