Find
Notify
Tools

Quality Cartridge a quality cartridge?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone use these guys' brass?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is indeed quality stuff. I use their .416 Taylor and 470 Mbogo brass, with proper headstamp [Smile] . You won't go wrong with Quality Cartridge. Now, I have been meaning to get some .358 STA from them ...

OOPS! I typed Rigby instead of Taylor above, edited! Now correct.

[ 07-30-2003, 08:45: Message edited by: DagaRon ]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless they have changed their equipment their 358 STA loaded ammo (and I would assume the brass) is not to SAAMI spec. We ordered 20 rounds from Quality and 20 rds from Z-Hat which turned out to be from Quality and the shoulder was too far forward on all rounds. I contacted A-Square and Shilen (who rebarreled the rifle) and they both confirmed the ammo was out of spec.
Jason Connerley

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Gentlemen --- I have been using Superior Ammo brass for some years now. My experience has been with .358 STA and .416 Rem. I could not ask for better brass or service. I also bought a box of their .416 Rem custom ammo, just to get me started with the round. I got a one hole group with their 400 grain Hornady loads, with a new rifle during breakin. Needless to say, when I need brass, I call them. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered some ammo from QC to get my STA project off the ground. The first batch was defective, had a bulge at the shoulder and wouldn't chamber. Said their dies were bad. They refilled my order (3 boxes) and sent an extra box for my troubles. I'm almost finished shooting the three boxes and have reloaded some of the brass 5 times while doing load development. The velocity was about 150 fps slower than I was told to expect and some of the OAL varied from round to round. I've also heard of powder charges variations by some that have disassembled the cartridges. FWIW,when it comes time to get more brass, I probably go to Superior Ammo.

Posts: 136 | Location: PA | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they had some honest problems with the STA, but that happens, I suppose. I'd like to see that they can reload consistently, but I will just be buying brass.
An unrebated Ultra case, to be specific.
Any more comments?
So far, not overwhelmingly impressive customer support.
Mbogo, I was thinking you had your brass made by QC. Glad you like it, cause otherwise I may be "forced" to go Herneber.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got a respnse from QC. Turns out they don't make their brass. It is drawn by "a major manufacturer." I asked for a name; we'll see if they give it.
[Is Bertram "major"? -scary thought.]
Looks like Horneber may be the way to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just made up 100 rounds of 411 Hawk on their '06 cylinder brass and, at least during the initial forming and first firing of the brass, it appears to be very nice.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana-be,
Have you gotten a response from Quality Cartridge? You have a PM.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YJ, pm-ed you back.
But for anyone else interested, MAST makes their brass. The guys at QC seem nice enough, but I'm a little leary of their products. Belted cases with bulges should have been caught before they made it to the truck.
Also, they use 404 Jeffery brass for loading the Ultra Mags, which is at best the far end of SAAMI tolerances. Somebody here (?) pulled some bullets and found a great disparity in powder charge wieghts.
For those of you who've had good luck, I am happy for you, but I'm going elsewhere for now.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I have been using Bell .404 brass produced by Mast on my wildcats for many years. The only problem I've had was a variance in the extraction grove. My chambering reamers were made to conform to this brass. .375 ULTRA MAG. brass will not function in these rifles as the head diameter is bigger enough to give me an interferrence fit.Maybe this info will keep someone out of trouble. On the plus side Bell or if you will Mast brass will chamber nicely in an ULTRA MAG. chamber.
Roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote