Find
Notify
Tools

Powder trickler
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted
Any recommodations regarding choice of powder trickler..?
How accurate are they..?
When reloading test cartridges, I guess a powder trickler will make my job easier..

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anders, mine is RCBS, but I doubt that there is any appreciable difference in the brands. They are not a complicated device.

It's especially handy when you are using a very coarse powder that doesn't measure well with a standard powder dump. Just use the dump to get you right below the desired charge, and then trickle to where you want it.

Accuracy? A trickler is the last word in accuracy, since you can measure down to the individual powder granule, if you have the patience.

If you want more accuracy than a trickler provides, you'll have to resort to slicing the last powder granule in half... [Big Grin]

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, rick3foxes..
That`s what I was hoping. That I could measure to the individual granule..
I was doing some reloading for a new bullet yesterday, and my arm is still hurting. It went up and down with a little spoon with powder. I`m tired of that..

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RCBS, and accuracy is controlled by your fingertips.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just be sure to get a metal one with the bulk of the weight in the bottom, as this adds stability. Avoid the el cheapo plastic ones.

packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anders,

Here is another idea for you. I have had the RCBS trickler for years but got tired of turning the knob when running large batches. I ran across a webpage that showed how to modify a battery powdered Midway trickler for use with a speed control and AC adapter. Well for about $15 for the trickler and maybe $10 at Radio Shack for the jack and AC/DC converter and some of my time I now have a trickler that all you have to do is push the button to trickle powder. I didn't opt for the speed control because it meant doing away with the battery power option. It works great!

Just a thought!

***** UPDATED *****
I found the webpage with the info on the modifications. You can see it and other good ideas at:

http://www.shootingsoftware/smallprojects.htm

[ 07-12-2003, 07:04: Message edited by: Byron ]

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Redding powder tricker. It's quite small, but it's heavy. I have others but tend to stick with the Redding. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote