Notify
Tools

OCW method
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted
Dan,

As said before I do really appreciate your efforts, from that kind of work, made my thosusands around the world, is how our sport could progress.

I apologize for using the term "marketing" since I never intended to imply nothing commercial.

But... I still didn't get any reasonable proof of its validity or where is the rationale behind this "method"...

So, please if feasible, for the sake of accuracy and the idea itself, can you provide us with that kind of information?

Again, advancement comes from these kind of individual work, right or wrong, just keeo trying and sharing your ideas with us, fellow reloaders.

Gus

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is my first post on this board. I have followed it for a while and finally could not resist the temptation. I would rate my reloading experience at an average of 6. That being said, the steps and procedures I perform, I would be a 9. On the ones I don't, I would be a 2, which leads to my point.

It appears to me that 90% of this board consists of 2 groups. Group 1 reloads for punching paper. Group 2 reloads for killing but also enjoys casual bench shooting sessions. The two groups would obviously employ different loading techniques. That appears to me where the confusion lies. I reload for killing and casual bench sessions. My case prep consists of flash hole deburring, primer pocket uniforming, trimming to proper length, deburring and chamfering the mouth. I use primarily Forster dies. I use a full lenght die with Redding competition shell holders (the ones with varying thickness) to size only enough required for proper feeding. I do not weigh the cases. I do not turn the necks. I do not weigh each charge, just check every so often. I cull finished rounds with runnout of more than .004, however, most range in the .002 - .003 range. I have found, with proper load development, these procedures allow me enough time to shoot (I have a family and a job that sometimes requires a lot of hours)and accomplish my objective which is......

Consistent sub MOA 3 shot groups (5 shots with heavier barrels). If the groups hoover around .9 so be it, if they average .6 thats fantastic. Truth is that is probably more accurate than me in most hunting situations yet still allows me to ring a 4" steal plate at my 300 yard range. What more could a non paper puncher ask for.

Dan, due to my reloading objectives, I for one read your method with interest. I might benefit from your method due to my unweighed cases and unweighed individual charges. I will find out. I have enough since to proceed with caution and recognize pressure signs.

This method may not be the best for someone who spends countless hours reloading and punching paper. However, as stated earlier, that is not my objective.

Dan, thanks for you input and time.

Critics, realize that every reloader may not have the same objectives as you.

Posts: 105 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
bxroads,

Thank you very much for the kind compliments. I do agree that for your purposes, an OCW load should do nicely. Using the 57.5 grain charge of 4350 and a 165 grain bullet, I've shot groups at 300 yards with mismatched cases (Winchester nickel, plain brass, and Remington cases all in the same group). These groups came in at 2/3 MOA in every case. The last group tested was a five shot group (someone asked for a five shot group, don't they always!? [Big Grin] ) but the other two were only three shots. Nonetheless, I can feel confident enough in the loads not to worry about case variations...

Gustavo,

Click in the link in my signature line, and it will take you to my website. You'll find an explanation of the whole idea there. Do let me know if there are parts that don't make sense and I'll do my best to clarify.

Thank you both once again,

Dan