Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 223 load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,
I've had luck with W748, AA2230, H-335, and AA2460 powder, I'm sure there are several more out there that will work well also. There is one real constant in my four different .223 rifles, that is the accuracy of the 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. My friend has several rifles in this caliber also and they love this bullet as well.
I wish you good luck in your choices(That's one of the great things about this caliber, you have so many).
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the range trying loads of RL15 powder under the 55gr. V-Max bullets and well WOW! I loaded 5 each from 25.5gr. up to 27 gr. in half grain's and did not have one load to print a group of over .75 and this is from a box stock Howa 1500 with heavy barrel. funny but the best group was from the 25.5 load and of 5 shots I found 3 holes and could see where the others had passed thru some of the others, I guess what they say is true, even a blind hog will find an accorn every once in awhile.

Lake City Brass
55gr. Hornady V-Max
Reloader 15 powder
Federal 205 primers

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good advice above.

The load I have never seen fail to shoot well in any rifle is :

H335 25.0 gr.
52 gr. Sierra Matchking BTHP
WSR primer ( Win. small rifle )
Loaded in Win. , WCC , or LC brass ( pretty much the same )

I stole this load from a guy named J. Feamster, who stole it from a bunch of prairie doggers , who stole it from benchrest shooters.
Not original , but it works.

Travis F.