Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Experiment
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

As you all know, we are going to be testing different bullets on game animals on our hunt in South Africa next month.

Basically we are going to stick to one bullet weight - 180 grains, in our 30/404.

After discussing this here amongst ourselves, we decided to stick to relatively mild velocities, say between 3350 - 3450 fps.

What I would like to see is if I can find one powder, which will produce reasonable velocities and accuracy, together with no change in point of impact, with all the bullets we will try.

We are going to try the following bullets:

1. Nosler Partition
2. Nosler Ballistic Tips
3. Swift A-Frame
4. Lapua MEGA SP - E415 - 185 gr.
5. TB Bear Claws
6. Sierra Match King

These are the only ones we have in this bullet weight.

We will let you know how it all goes.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67453 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

For sure the best bullet on your list is Sierra Match King But I can't remember if there is a thread here on that subject

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Your hunt will provide a "true" comparison of these bullets, rather than what one finds by shooting into wet phone books, etc. Your findings will be anxiously awaited!!

<centerpunch>
posted

[ 06-15-2002, 03:18: Message edited by: centerpunch ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, don't you know that that Matchkings are target bullets, not hunting bullets? Well, it just depends on how one defines the word target, right?

------------------
there's a fine line between hobby and mental illnes

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

We got almost 3700 fps from our rifle with 180 grain bullets, but, we thought only bullets like the Barnes X would stand this sort of impact velocity.

So, with a nod to the Match Kings, we thought of sticking to the velocities I mentioned above.

Funny enough, I tried the Nosler Balistic Tips, Partitions, Match Kings and the Swift A-Frame so far, velocities were from 3425 to 3470 - I will post them in the morning, together with the group size. They all shot reasonable well.

All these loads were with 90 grains of Alliant Reloader 22, and the point of impact was very close. Again, I will post complete details when I get the target back.

One of my main worries was changing point of impact, but this seems to be sorted out with this load at least.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

Posts: 67453 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Well, I think we found a suitable load for this experiment.

90 grains of Reloader 22, Norma 404 brass, and Federal 215 primers.

180 Swift A-Frame - 3425 - 0.710"
180 Sierra MK - 3472 - 0.290"
180 Ballistic Tip - 3447 - 0.540"
180 Partition - 3452 - 0.806"

The center of impact for all the above was within 1".

I will update this when I finish with the other bullets.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Saeed--Sometimes you really MAKE ME MAD!! First you have that really neat underground tunnel. NOW you have a gun that shoots any bullet like a tack driver--AND all to the same virtual point of impact. DON'T YOU KNOW how much you hurt us little guys ego??!!
(my humor) d kraky

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Don,

Walter was here earlier, and I showed him the targets.

Walter: "OHOHOHO! You see, my cutting those grooves and painting the barrel with that special BMW paint did the trick! Even you can shoot decent groups with it now!"

Me: "Would you like to shoot a few groups with it?"

Walter: "No I won't! How many time do I have to tell you any case that takes over 60 grains of powder is out of my range of recoil tolerance. I have brains you know. Not like you and Roy with nothing between your ears."

I tell you though, I am just as surprised with these results as you are.

I told Alan Vincent, who is coming along with us, about what I wanted to do by loading several different bullets and try them on game next month.

He laughed and said it should be an interesting experiment, as I would have to keep re-adjusting my scope for each bullet type.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool! One step closer to a truth "Death Ray"

Although from the video, that .375/.404 was pretty much a death ray...I bet the animals see you uncase the rifle and go ahead and just fall over with this one..he.he..

Mike

------------------
Victory Through Superior Firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
That bbl. paint should keep the other guys at the bench from concentrating on their targets. I wonder if that's allowed in a match?

So . . . you realize that there's more uniformity to a wet phone book than there is with real live, breathing, running animals?

I mean . . . get out on the beach and look at the bodies You'll see substantially more variation than you'll find in a wet phone book.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved