New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load development routine and helpfull tips
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering how many different routines folks use when developing a load for your rifles and how you document the results. I use the hoppes target that has the four pie shapes in the center and then four small squares in each corner. I always use the pie shapes by placing my crosshairs along the two straight lines that form a right angle. This would place my crosshairs at the point that those two lines intersect. When I shoot, I always take along 4 different colored sharpie pens and I use a different color for each of the 5 shot groups when I number them. I also number them 1-5, 6-10, ect. And when I number them I always place the number below the hole, that way there's no confusion when you have two holes within close proximity of each other. I also have some adhesive backed white tabs about a half inch by 3 inches and these contain the basic load info, powder type and charge, bullet type and weight, primer, case length and OAL. I also mark each tab with the corresponding group, i.e. 1-5, 6-10 and use the colored pens. These tabs are then placed on the target after your shooting session and you can relate the load with the group size. I make a duplicate of each tab and place these in my loading book along with a word or two on the performance,i.e. good, bad, excellant, needs work, tune up. What sort of routine do you other folks have?

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sighting in or developing a load?
I bore sight my rifle at 25 yards. I then fire one round at the approx center of a blank sheet of paper at 25 yards. I then fire at the bullet hole. This tells me exactly how far off my rifle is. I adjust to hit the original bullet hole. At 25 yards, your scope values are only 1/4 of the values at 100 yards. If you need to move your scope 4 clicks to move an inch at 100 yards, you need to move 16 clicks at 25 yards.
Then I move to a 100 yard target and shoot at a standard target to fine tune my POI.
The whole process can sometimes be done in a little as half dozen or 10 rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bad, should have titled it load development. The title has been edited, thanks!!

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
simular to the beeman except I use moa not clicks.
As far as tracking each load and in developing. I shoot across a chrono and determine the average velocity. I like to shoot at 200 or 300yrds that way my groups are spread out a little. I load up 20 or so rounds in increments of .2 to .5 grains of powder. I use a plotter target that is the same as the one I am shooting at. both targets have 1" or 1/2" square grids with some of them blacked out.I hold on the same grid for all shots. I record each shot on the plotter and record the velocity for that shot. from that I look for nodes in the groups some will be in clusters and others will be strung out vertical on the target. I will load 5 rounds from each cluster for that powder weight and shoot for groups.
Example: 1 node may have powder weights 41.2 ,,41.4.. 42.6 or 42.8 all in the same group.. I would choose higher velocities 42.6 42.7 42.8 and load 5 of each and shoot for groups
Confusing?

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first started load development I used the same target, the Hoppes sight in target. It worked fine, but I tried a regular benchrest target, the one with the round bullseye & the black square at the top of the bull. I like those much better for load development. Having a good aiming point is very important to load development IMO.
Depending on which rifle I am working with, I will then fire a 3 or 5 shot group. The benchrest targets are numbered 1 through 5 with a sighter. I keep track at the bench of which load is fired at which target & when I retrieve the target I will write the load info on it along with what the group measures. Then I will cut them out & place together on a piece of paper and place them in a notebook. I normally get four to a sheet of standard size paper. I place them in order from the starting load in .5gr increments, that way I can see how the load progressed later from my easy chair in the cozy comfort of home.
Like hivelocity, I use a plotter target at the bench & log the velocity from the chrony after each shot.
I have been contemplating moving out to 200 to do my load work, but I have not tried it yet.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote