Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

want to start reloading
 Login/Join

posted
hi i'm new to the forum. getting a reloading press kit for Christmas not sure of what brand to get. iwill be reloading rifle &pistol any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a reloading book and read it cover to cover before trying to reload. Lyman is a good one but there are several others.
If you have the bucks to spend, the RCBS kit is a good one. If you're on a budget, the Lee kit will give you good service. And, if you decide that reloading isn't for you, you won't have a second mortgage tied up in reloading eq.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum!

When I was in your shoes several years ago, I went with the RCBS Rockchucker Kit and have never looked back.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A major +1 to Wasbeeman's recommendation on a reloading manual; I also agree that the Lyman one is a good place to start (it was the first one I got).

I didn't purchase a kit but I will say that RCBS makes very fine equipment and their customer service is a platinum standard, not a mere gold one. For those reasons I would +1 the RCBS kit.

Posts: 39 | Location: Lynden, Washington | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in agreement with everything stated above, but I like the Speer reloading manual. (I believe it comes with the RCBS Master Reloading Kit.) And as was stated above, RCBS will take care of you. Period.

One addition: ask, ask, ask, ask, ask... I have only been handloading since 1980. There are individuals on here that have forgotten more about the subject than I will ever know.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR

Don't hesitate to ask any questions. There is a mass of information here.

We were all new to this at one time or another

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a trusty worthy loader with a lot of experience (hot air does not count) loading the type of rounds you shoot ask his assistance in scrounging your equipment used.

All the better equipment can be bought at 25 to 50 cents on the dollar and if cared for it will last a couple of life times.
The scrounging route takes patience though.

You might indicate your location because one of the guys here be close to you.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input most kits come with the book. does anyone have any comments or opinion on the lee classic cast turret

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a large clique of Lee lovers over at Cast Boolits. I have no experience with it but there are a lot of youtube videos you can check out.
I have no experience with it because good reloading presses are a durable life time purchases and I bought my stuff before Lee ever sold a press.

If you are a pistol shooter it might have significant advantages. If you are reloading rifle ammo it will be limited like most presses with bottle necked rounds.

quote:
Originally posted by cypress stalker:
thanks for the input most kits come with the book. does anyone have any comments or opinion on the lee classic cast turret

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a reloading book. However, before you rush out and get a book, consider that many kits from various companies include a manual. Look at the various kits to see if a book is in the kit you may be interested in. Hornady gets you a Hornady manual, RCBS gets you a Speer book, Lee get you a Lee, etc., so try not to duplicate books.

One of the better books for a beginner is the Lyman manual, while usually any of the books have a good reloading section.

At this time of year, many of the online sellers have sales going for their reloading equipment.

Many of the online forums have a sticky on suggested equipment. Read up before ordering.

Mike

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee Classic Cast

dollar for dollar it can't be beat

It has no disadvantages in bottleneck cases or strait wall...zero

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure it does

You can't avoid trimming forever.

You can't easily use long sick extruded powders especially in small bore cases. You have a chance of powder bridging and significant variability in the powder charges dropped.

With progressives you have to figure out some way to expand the neck without having the lube cause powder bridging in small bores.

With progressive you have a lubed cases that are loaded and then have to be degreased as loaded rounds.

For many other utilitarian uses progressive are unfit since they may be damaged or do not have the strength and flexibility >> heavy duty case forming, heavy duty bullet sizing, bullet swaging etc, 50 bmg, 577 Snider, 577/450

If you only reload one or a few different cartridges you may never run into the limitations of the progressives and turrets.
I do all the time

quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I have a Lee Classic Cast

dollar for dollar it can't be beat

It has no disadvantages in bottleneck cases or strait wall...zero

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldHit a few gun shows if you can with a knowledgeable reloader if possible. There is a lot of good usable info and gear that can be had. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote