New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trajectory
 Login/Join

<gunboat>
posted
I have a mystery that I need help solving. I have a Martini-Enfield (.303) rifle that I reload for. With the sights set at 200 yards, I'm hitting 6 inches low at 75 yds. A 5 shot group was just over 3 inches, no keyholing. I don't have a chronograph but I'm certain from the powder manufacturer's guide that I've got between 1800 to 1900 fps muzzle velocity. I've also carefully measured the height above bore centerline for both the front and rear sights. At the 200 yd setting, the bore centerline is definitely angled above horizontal some amount. The barrel is not bent and I shoot from a bench with sandbag support at the mid barrel point. What am I missing?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunboat I sent you a private message
Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless the manner in which the rifle is resting on the bench is causing an abberation in the point of impact, you simply need to raise the rear sight, no matter what its marking.

Try shooting with the same sight setting offhand and see if your group center changes.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote