Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading .223 for an AR-15 on a Forster Co-Ax
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,

Does anyone reload .223 for their AR-15 on a Forster Co-AX with Forster dies? if so what are you thoughts and experiences? Thanks for your time!

Posts: 39 | Location: Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a co-ax for reloading a .222. Works fine and makes good ammo. I am not sure what you are looking for. The Co-ax is a terrific press with some ergonomics issues.
I have made some mods to mine and if you want and have access to a machinist buddy or metalworking equipement, I can post pics.
These do not " improve " the press as far as making better ammo but make the machine a little more user friendly.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply! I am more specifically looking at the Forster die or will I have to buy a small base die from another manufacture as the only small base die Forster makes is in .308. I did email Forster and they said it should work fine for an AR-15. Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts if they have seen any issues using the Forster die for an AR. Smiler

Posts: 39 | Location: Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Other than the quick change dies and positive primer catch, I don't see why everyone is so crazy about them. I like the good ol rockchucker myself.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already have the press (actually it's a Bonanza) just torn between going with the Forster FL die or getting a small base die from another manufacture. Just want some input from those that have loaded with a Forster die/Co-Ax press.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Sorry, the heading threw me off. I have mainly RCBS but have a set of Lee and Hornady. I like RCBS because the price is good, they work, and their customer service is second to none. I have bent sizing rods, broken decap pins, etc and all I have had to do was tell them my problem, explain it was my fault and I need to buy a part, and I get what I need in the mail. For Free. Never paid them a dime even when I stressed it was my fault. That's why I like RCBS. Forster may do the same, I don't know.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First thing I would do is check to see if my AR needs small base dies or not. They don't all need them.
I would shoot a few factory rounds five to ten. Then strip the bolt by removing the extractor and ejector. then reassemble the rifle with said stripped bolt. Now one at a time I run the once fired (in this rifle)resized brass by hand into the chamber then see if the bolt will close and the lugs rotate and lock without anything more than finger pressure(I use my thumb at the end of the bolt carrier). If so then your rifle doesn't need small base dies.

I hope this helps.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The co-ax will handle small base dies of any make as well as any press. The press will work as well with any die as any other press with a couple of limitation.

With older Co-Axs, Micrometer seating dies can be a problem as they are taller and there may be interference with the yoke.

Also, and this is not unique to the CO-AX, very long cartridges may not work.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you don't need small base dies for an ar, unless you have a really really minimum chamber (never seen that) the forester dies are top shelf. i'm not sure that micrometer seating dies are a problem, my old bonanza press is one i bought in 69 (when they were made about a block away from my shop) I haven't had any problems using the micrometer dies, although i'm not sure that they are all that worthwhile. after all once you set the seating depth you lock the die

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too agree that you don't need a small base die.

posted Hide Post
One small caveat. You may already know this but with other make dies, you may have to replace the lock ring with a Forster lock ring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ended up ordering the Forster FL and ultra seater die set. I switch out the factory Forster lock ring with a Hornady lock ring. Seems to work really well. Thanks for your input everyone, muchly appreciated!

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
Other than the quick change dies and positive primer catch, I don't see why everyone is so crazy about them. I like the good ol rockchucker myself.

Why everyone raves about them is because of the unique "floating" shell holder. I can get much more concentric rounds loading with one. No doubt a rockchucker can load fine rounds but it takes a lot more screwing around and adjusting dies initially to do it.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never used a small base die for a 223/5.56, including for Match barrels.

I use the CO-AX press for all of my normal reloading.
I like it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have never used a small base die for a 223/5.56, including for Match barrels.

I use the CO-AX press for all of my normal reloading.
I like it.

That's good to hear. Thanks for posting up everybody! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not have a Co-Ax but I have many sets of Bonanza and Forster dies. Some of these dies are same caliber duplicates of those of other brands that I own. I have found the Forster/Bonanza sizers are a few thousandths tighter than most other brands except Lymans.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load 223 on a co-ax. Have for about 15 years. Put the Dillion in the attic about 8 years ago. If you start out with brass that was not fired in an M-249 SAW, you won't need small base dies. If you do have machine gun brass, you will likely need small based dies. I luv Forster dies.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Load up a bunch and head for the range. If they load and shoot, whats the problem?
George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I want to shoot little bitty groups with my 223 I load them on my Co-Ax. Plinking rounds go through my Dillon.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I have two Co-Ax presses which I bought in '72. I could not begin to count the thousands of rounds I have loaded with these presses over the years.
Pound-for-pound, I believe it is the best single-stage press ever designed. It is extremely powerful and as stated by others, the die and the floating shell holder aligns the case to the center of the die.
My hand loads out of this press have never let me down on the range.
I always use a small base die for any caliber used in a semi-automatic/machine gun.
I have never had a case fail to load into any of my firearms due to dimensions being too "tight".
you see post all the time on how "hard" it is to size a case. On the Co-Ax press darn near the weight of the handle will full length size a .223!

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rockchucker and a Forster Co-Ax mounted side by side on my bench. The Co-Ax does 95% of everything, it loads much straighter ammo. If you don't have a concentricity gauge then you probably won't notice the difference. When I first got my concentricity gauge I ordered the Co-Ax the next day after seeing how crooked most of my ammo was. The Co-Ax fixed the problems.