New
Find
Notify
Tools

.280AI and H100V
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Living at the far end of the world has its limitations.... Like never being able to get the same powder twice!
so my old favourite Reloader 17 is not currently available down here and I need to find something else quick.
What is available is H100V.
anyone loading this In a 280AI with 160gr projectiles?
If so would love some info.
Cheers
Shanks

Posts: 4608 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Mate

I have had my Sako 280 Ack Imp for over 15 years and my best load with 160 Gr Accubonds was with Vihtavouri N560 - the Nosler manual load - which gave me spot on 3000 fps. No pressure signs and the primers reseat firm.

My mate with a 7mm Rem mag cannot get that!

I am a conservative reloaders and rarely try for top velocities.

Not tried the other powders you mention.

The old IMR 4831 from 15 years ago or more was also very good but not sure if the current lots are the same powder!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought about it, but for some reason my rifle plays differently and likes a bit faster powder than the 560/4831/re22 range.
Seems to prefer the newer double base powders.
Also its another powder thats hard to get at times.

Posts: 4608 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
How about N160? Used to be easily available & lots people carried extra cans in stock. I used to stock 3 cans at one time. Down to little over 1 KG now.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id be better off with 560 if I wanted to go that route. 160 is an older single base powder and I just don't seem to get results from them.
If I go down that path it'll be an AR powder I spend my time with.
Right now though its H100V I want to find out more about as Hogden would be the second most available brand over time I reckon.