Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 Magnum Brass - Hornady vs Starline
 Login/Join

posted
I am just beginning to reload for my 500 S&W magnum. I know that Hornady and Starline are using different primer pockets. I believe there were ignition and pressure concerns with some of Cor-bon's loads so they went with the rifle primers, however, Hornady did not experience these problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which brass I should use? I have to reload for it because I sure can't afford the $40 a box for factory.

Posts: 8 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 04 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Starline brass per a suggestion from a friend at Sierra. Quality is excellent. I expect the Hornady is just as good, plus it comes annealed from the factory which is nice. Also, all of the brass for the 500 S&W that is out there now should all have Large Rifle primer pockets. I bought my Starline brass from Midway and they had the LR pockets.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I am using a mix of brass. When the S&W500 first came out the only person making brass was Jamison International. I got 300 rounds of brass. I have loaded some of them 10 times already at full strength with 440 gr. cast performance bullets and still have no signs of wear or pressure problems. I have the brass which uses the large pistol magnum primers. I have not had any ignition problems at all. I use W296 powder. I also ordered 400 rounds of Starline when they first came out and they also have the large pistol primer pocket. Me personally, I would not switch to the Large rifle primer brass until I use up all my 700 cases. After reloading them over 10 times and not a single problem, I think I will have brass forever. I still have 500 rounds I have not loaded yet. But in my opinion Jamison Int. and Starline both make great brass.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote