New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi, I loaded 286 grain nosler partitions with reloader 15 to about 2350fps in a 23.5 inch barrel. I recently picked up another 9.3 with a 20.5 inch tube. Should I consider a different powder that is a little faster burning for that short of a barrel? if so, what powder would you suggest? I don't load much anymore but I will for the 9.3 because I have the equipment, bullets and brass.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I use Ramshot Big game with my 286 North forks and get 2505 out of a 25” barrel.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, use your same loads; you will not notice any difference and neither will the creatures you hit with it.
Also no reason to complicate things by having dedicated rifle ammo.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 58.5 gr of RL 15. Nice groups and a nice push when you pull the trigger. In a couple rifles this has worked well.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No, use your same loads; you will not notice any difference and neither will the creatures you hit with it.

This.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The bullet travel to maximum pressure in either gun is 1.36 inches. So pressure is not a problem but barrel timing might or may not be a problem. You wont know until you get it to the range.

Out of your 23.5 inch barrel, barrel time from Pmax to muzzle is around 1.324 ms. (figured at 2352 fps)
Out of your 20.5 inch barrel, barrel time from Pmax to muzzle is around 1.216 ms. (around 2284 fps)

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Barrel timing? First time I have ever heard of that being a "problem" as indicated above.
Can anyone explain that?
I think that sometimes we get enamored with too much data and forget the basics of rifle shooting. I also see it in the WW2 Jeep restoration hobby, where just last week a guy wanted to develop a CAD and CNC program to bend brake lines.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

We hunt with two rifles, my own 375/404.

We use the same load in both.

Works great, despite there is a difference in barrel lengths.

Been doing it for so many years.

As mentioned above, makes life so much easier.

And we never had any complaints from the animals.

Had a bit of a joke this year, as I posted pictures loading the ammo for our hunt this year.

I had a label saying 375/404 SPECIAL NO MISS AMMO.

Lived up to their name too.

I shot 11 Cape buffalo and assorted plains game.

Not a single miss! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
I didn't think I implied that they would have different impact points, just that they might.

I am very sorry, but I my own experience does not support the above.

0.3 of grain and a slight change in seating depth creating such dramatic difference??

Never experienced it, despite having doing all sorts of tests.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All this data has absolutely ZERO to do with the OP's question. He asked if he needed a faster powder in his shorter barrel.
The answer is NO.
Does he need to work up a load for it? Maybe, but not until he tries what has worked for him previously.
And back to barrel time; that, as a stand alone variable, is meaningless. And since you are now talking about .3 grains of powder difference, I guarantee you that .3 will not be noticed in a 9.3.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn't mean to piss you off. The Ops question was answered before your second reply. Ever thing from that point on was just responses to you and Saeed.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
Sorry I didn't mean to piss you off. The Ops question was answered before your second reply. Ever thing from that point on was just responses to you and Saeed.

You are not pissing anyone off.

You are posting what you think is relevant.

But I can tell you from first hand experience - and of others who have done it many times - some articles printed are nothing but plain old bullshit.

Especially when it comes to what one sees on Youtube.

I know non of AR members would believe such things, but there are many new hunters who seem to do.

I get people asking me all sorts of things about what they see on Youtube, sadly, many of these claims are totally pointless.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on my chrongraphing, not particularly scientific, I have found fast powder in short barrels is a farce..I did some sorta testing with carbines using old 4831 and faster powders and the 4831 always won by a bunch..I did this over the years enough to go with what got me the best velocity and the least presssure, burn rate never showed me a thing..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote