Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer pockets
 Login/Join

posted
I have some .257 Roberts cases that I've been reloading. The primer pockets on some have become enlarged to the point that the primers are loose. Is there some tool or method to shrink the pockets so they hold the primer more securely? Thanks in advance for your help.
Carl

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its time to put those cases in a scrap brass bucket.

I use a lee depriming tool on primers that seated easily. If I can move the primer with just finger pressure the case is scrapped.

Brass is a expandable item and your bolt face is not. Loose primer pockets can cause high pressure erosion of your bolt face.

Bottom line, all it takes is one loose primer pocket to etch you bolt face. And new brass is cheap insurance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given that 257 Roberts brass is not always easy to acquire and if the pockets are not grossly oversize and, most important, you have not been hot-rodding the poor old Roberts to something it wasn't designed to do and have stretched the case out in the web area ---try using Tula or whatever the Russians are selling and whatever you can get your hands on that is of Russian derivation-they tend to be ever so slightly larger and will allow a few more firings.

Note the above post re: bolt face pitting as it can and does occur so tread cautiously.