New
Find
Notify
Tools

loads for 357 mag and 308 norma mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
ok this is a carry on to learnig reloading i've decided my first reload experience be the 308 norma mag i would like hunting loads for this and the 357 mag these loads i'm looking for shooting loads rather then hunting i'll get to that once i'm totally set up

i'm gonna be a friend /coworkers/ house for my first loads for the hands on experience please include which primers i need as this is gonna be my first time
for brass i got 40 rounds of norma brass in 308 norma and 100 starline brass for 357 mag

members have been great so far i appreciate the help thanx tbear99

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TBEAR,
The 308Norma Mag is the ballistic twin of the 30-338, which I shoot. I'll give you a load, but you need to check Hodgdon web site for loads and see if they have data for t he 308 Normal Mag.

My load is a 180gr BT or Partition, 71.5gr of H4831 powder, 210Match Primer. I generally get right at 3000fps and can drive tacks with my M70 custom. Kudude

PS: I suggest testing at 200yds or better 300yds. Mine will give the same group sometimes at all three distances. This is an indication that the bullet is not settling down. k-d

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I use RL22 behind Nosler 165 & 180s. Right at or just past book max with the oal at 3.34"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
this is what i need the brass is too expensive for the norma that is why i'm wanting to go straight to working hunting loads for it

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I used 68 grains of IMR 4350 or 73 grains of H4831 with both Sierra and Nosler 200-grain bullets in my .308 Norma Magnum. The 4350 load gave 2850 FPS MV, and the recoli was acceptable. This was important, beecause my .308 Norma had a Niedner steel buttplate on it. The 73 grains of H4831 gave just at 3000 FPS, but recoil was severe, so I developed the IMR 4350 load. The H4831 load was close to MAX., but the IMR 4350 load was not.

My best .357 Magnum load consisted of the Lyman/Keith .358429 173-grain flatbase semi-wadcutter bullet with 13 grains of Hercules 2400 powder. The new Alliant 2400 might require LESS, I don't know!

The .308 Norma is one of the best .30-caliber magnums ever designed (esentially a belted version of the .30 Newton!). Winchester should have used this design instead of what became the .300 Win. Mag.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A small note of caution on the .308 Norma Mag ... GREAT caliber! Because virtually all of the chambers were done by smiths, they can vary somewhat ... especially leade. Do your workup loads with some caution. Start lower than you otherwise might.

Mine is built on a Remington Springfield and is seems to require a small charge weight than most. I particularly like IMR 4350 and 4831 in this rifle. It shoots everything from 168 HPBT match bullets to 200 Nosler partitions well.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
this is what i need the brass is too expensive for the norma that is why i'm wanting to go straight to working hunting loads for it

If you don't want to use Norma brass get some 338Wmag brass run it in your die and load. The neck will be shorter but that is not an issue.

If I wanted a one bullet do all for the 308N it would be the 180 Accubond.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ok i'm gonna sound like an idiot on this one where is the best place to get info on elmer kieth loads?

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR