THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Recipe For Red and Green Dot In 380ACP.
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys need some load data for Red and Green Dot for 380ACP Using 125gr Cast Bullets.. I know it can be done. I just don't have a good recipe for it. I have used both Red and Green Dot with awesome results in my 9mm., 38 Special and 45 Colt.
Old school data works just fine. Going to need some help from back in the day for this one.
Thanks everybody. coffee

one of us
posted Hide Post
What does your cast bullet manual say?

If you don't have one, buy one!

OH and BTW. Load data is NOT a Recipe it is a guideline.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Cool first you need to know what diameter the cast bullets are.
If they are .356 you may have issues with chambering due to case expansion when you seat the bullets.
I do not have any load data for 125gr cast bullets.
starting loads for a 120gr .355 dia. bullet is 1.6gr reddot and 1.7grs greendot. all of the load data for the 380 is with bullet weights around 90grs to 100grs.
Tread carefully with any load data that is not published! welcome to AR
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you get a Lyman reloading manual or call Sierra for data with your bullet / powder combinations. They have a toll free (1-800) number and will answer any reloading question with any combination.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
about 2 maximum

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the help. I was thinking 1.5 to 2gr Red Dot. Have various loading manuals and sources. Problem is they are to recent. Need some old manuals.for the old powders like Red Dot. Need to go to Ebay or something.
I agree that the the 90 and 100he are more common with the 380, Wish I could find casting molds for them. Lee doesn't make those to my knowledge. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman cast bullet handbook has those loads.
Lyman handbooks #44 and 45 will have it also.

You will not find so much loading data for jacketed bullets or any other bullets in many older manuals. Jacketed bullets for handguns did not come into wide spread use until sometimes in the 70s. Cast bullets were the main stays way back then.

quote:
Originally posted by Redlion:
Thanks everyone for the help. I was thinking 1.5 to 2gr Red Dot. Have various loading manuals and sources. Problem is they are to recent. Need some old manuals.for the old powders like Red Dot. Need to go to Ebay or something.
I agree that the the 90 and 100he are more common with the 380, Wish I could find casting molds for them. Lee doesn't make those to my knowledge. tu2

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Try Ebay. I have had good luck finding molds there. Usually start at about $6-8 bucks and go up from there

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks..I have got some molds from EBay380. Will be looking. 380 is the wife's. She likes it. Have to keep her in range Ammo. Lol

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redlion:

Red Dot is NOT an old powder. Is has been around a long time, but it is still very popular and still listed in NEW manuals.

Lee does make a 100gr 380 mold.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote