New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to start
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok guys thanks for the help. Lets start slow can't run till we walk. I would assume that once the protocol is set the basic changing of calibers are the same. Keeping in mind different loads pressures and such for individual calibers and loads? I would like to start with rifle lets just say 30.06. I would like to go through with an equipment check. I have 3 presses 1 RCBS 1 Lyman 1 that is blue and says SUPER DELUXE on it. I have 2 case trimmers two scales one micrometer.Various shell holders. Various hand cleaning tools for the individual cases. 2 Powder triklers. Various dies I will give you an exact inventory later. Am i missing anything for a basic start up?

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Yes. A good reloading manual.

The blue press sounds like an old Bair or Pacific press. Both very well made presses. tu2

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great idea any suggestions guys?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a couple of good manuals.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a Lyman.
I tend to try and get the manual(s) for the brand of bullet I'm planning on using. I prefer a manual that says for a Nosler 165 SP use X grs of X powder. Instead of one that says for all 165 gr bullets use this.

My go too manuals are a Hornady and Nosler. I do own a Barnes because non lead based bullets act and load different.

One I bought a manual(s) I would read it several times making a list of questions and concerns to ask about as I go.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the chamfer and primer pocket cleaning tools.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
basic case prep tools as have been mentioned and at least two manuals. i like lyman because of all of the extra information that it contains - i also like lee for this reason but i will warn you thet interspersed with the good information, lee plugs their products a lot. no big deal if you use them, but it might get irritating if you don't. in any case, good information in both about the fundamentals of reloading. after that, i would suggest a manual from the manufacturer of the bullets you would like to use, and the powder. another very good option, in my opinion, are the booklets that combine all of the different publishers' load information for a single chambering (such as .30/06) into one booklet.

you already have presses, so this might not be something you would be interested in, but a final thing i would suggest is a lee loader in .30/06. it's good for getting you into the fundeamentals, and it is also handy to have as you can take it with you pretty much anywhere or use it any time.

here come the flames! sofa

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
basic case prep tools as have been mentioned and at least two manuals. i like lyman ebcause of all of the extra information that it contains - i also like lee for this reason but i will woarn you taht interspersed with the good information, lee plugs their product s a lot. no big deal if you use them, but it might get irritating if you don't. in any case, good information in both about the fundamentals of reloading. after that, i would suggest a manual from the manufacturer of the bullts you would like to use, and the powder. another very good option, in my opinion, are the booklets that combine all of the different publishers' load information for a single chambering (such as .30/06) into one booklet.

you already have presses, so this might not be something you would be interested in, but a final thing i would suggest is a lee loader in .30/06. it's good for getting you into the fundeamentals, and it is also handy to have as you can take it with you pretty much anywhere or use it any time.

here come the flames! sofa

Lee Reloading Tools!!?? flame

rotflmo Aside from their presses, I use a lot of Lee tools for case prep! Their case trimmers are simple, and fool proof. Their Zip Trimmer is also a handy device, provided you get the universal chuck for it. Their powder dippers are simply fun, and the Perfect Powder Measure works just fine for my purposes.

But their dies... I really like their dies. And I have the groups to prove it!!

Ok, now back to the Reloading data... coffee

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Don't forget one of the most important steps in reloading, a good case and inside neck lube. After trying several over the years, all work okay, some more messy and stickier than others, I discovered Imperial Wax. This is great stuff and works from small cases to the large stuff. I use it for inside neck lube too, just roll a cotton bud in the wax and lube inside the case neck.
The Imperial Wax is a bit slower to use when processing a lot of cases as it is usually just applied on the cases one at a time by just rolling the case around between finger and thumb which have previously just had a small smear applied. Very economical and ensures no cases get stuck in the die and to me takes away a lot of stress on the press and dies.

I clean off by rolling a handful of cases at a time in a paper towel damped with white spirit (white petroleum). This leaves the cases completely de-greased and imparts a polish to them at the same time. Same for inside necks, a cotton bud dampened with white spirit removes the lube.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manual(S). Then read them. Then read them again. Then study them. They will do you no good IF you do not read them.
Imperial Die Sizing wax.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Manual(S). Then read them. Then read them again. Then study them. They will do you no good IF you do not read them.
Imperial Die Sizing wax.

Agreed on the first part. Although, Hornady One Shot spray lube gets my vote.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is great stuff. I inherited alot of this stuff I know there is manuals in there some where not sure of the publication dates will look and let you guys know thank you very much for all the input.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know there is manuals in there some where not sure of the publication dates will look

Older manuals are just about as good (in some ways better) than new. Old manuals might not have current bullets or all powder choices. But older manuals haven't had the lawyers work over the max loads as well.

I prefer imperial sizing wax or the hornady copy. I haven't worried about my primer pockets for years. I normally trim my brass a touch short chamfer and usually have lost or tossed it by the time it needs trimming again.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re: primer pocket prep, check and make sure the primer pocket has a hole in it. If so, you're good to go. Try not to get wound up in the petty shit.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2. Lee powder dippers (for working up loads without dinking with a measure)
3. Powder funnel
4. Wilson or RCBS deburr tool
5. Loading blocks (I hoard the hard to find yellow Flambeau twin 60s.)
6. Redding - Imperial or Hornady Unique lube
7. Forster case trimmer with the collets and pilots of your choice.
8. Another loading manual or 2 or 3. The old ones are often about $5 to $10 used. Speer and Hornady are also needed.
9. A hand priming tool of your choice - I loathe priming on a press.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think the best advise i could offer is to find a club in your area, make friends with some of the members and have them help you out. nothing like hands on

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you're anywhere around the so. minn area give me a PM & i'll be glad to help

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A stuck case remover. You can buy one as a set or improvise with common tools. Search YouTube for a how to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Lyman manuals 45th &46th edition and a Hornaday two book manual 1991.Would this be a good start?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captbubba:
I have 2 Lyman manuals 45th &46th edition and a Hornaday two book manual 1991.Would this be a good start?

Yes.