Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 OR .311 FOR 7.62X54R
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to reloading so I need to know. Some reloading specs say .308 for the 7.62 x 54R but some say .311 How do I know for sure which one is suitable for my rifle. I have been using the Wolf Gold ammo with no issue except accuracy but I dont see any specs for it. Any help would be appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do I know for sure which one is suitable for my rifle. I

You "slug the bore". Take a 00 buckshot and a brass punch. Stand the rifle on the buttplate on the floor. Place the buckshot on the muzzle and with a lightweight hammer, use the brass punch to drive the buckshot into the bore. (You use a brass punch so you can't damage the muzzle crown.) A sliver of lead should be shaved off as the oversize shot enters the bore. Push the shot all the way through the bore with a cleaning rod and out the open bolt.

Now take your mike and mike the slug. The large section will tell you the groove diameter, and the smaller section is the bor diameter.

I just got done doing this with my Mosin/Nagant M91/30. The bore size of my rifle (small section) turned out to be .300". The large section was .314"! So I shot the rifle with .308", .211", and .314" bullets. It shot best with the .311"'s! (Mine has really deep grooves, but I've heard of even deeper ones. I wonder if the Russians made 'em this way so they could be literally fired forever w/o shooting out the rifling??

Anyway, mine shoots pretty poorly, even though the bore looks OK. In fact this one has about the WORST ACCURACY I've ever experienced with a military rifle from ANY country-even the Italian Mannlicher-Carcano!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Finland-deign .308 are ok. CCCP/Sovjet are .311- Mayby there is something www.7.62x54R.net

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Correct size is 0.311" ... as with Lee Enfield's, bore's can differ quite significantly but 0.311" is the correct size.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the Russian 91/30, I only mess with the rifle with shiney grooves,:

The best bullets I have found are:
180 gr. Sierra #2310.311 dia. SPT Pro-Hunter

In the M39, there is a problems with tight bores and tight necks and short chambers.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BK9954:
I am new to reloading so I need to know. Some reloading specs say .308 for the 7.62 x 54R but some say .311 How do I know for sure which one is suitable for my rifle. QUOTE]

popcornTry a number of loadings with both Diameters. That's the only way to find out for sure. It'll give you a little experience and knowledge. Hopefully your expander will accomodate both. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Roger said, shoot some of each and see which shoots best. Or, slug the bore and you'll know for sure what size it is.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 123gr VMax that Graf`s sells in .310 diameter.

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Generally" all 7.62X54R's shoot very well with .311 bullets. Finnish Mosin Nagants except for the M-39 .308 bullets are the best bet. The M-39 uses .311 bullets. I agree with previous post to slug your bore before spending the money to buy the wrong diameter bullets.
Good luck.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hacksawtom:
"Generally" all 7.62X54R's shoot very well with .311 bullets. Finnish Mosin Nagants except for the M-39 .308 bullets are the best bet. The M-39 uses .311 bullets. I agree with previous post to slug your bore before spending the money to buy the wrong diameter bullets.
Good luck.

The only Finn I'm aware of with a 0.308" bore was the M1928/30 ... the rest are generally around 0.3095"-0.310". Correct size is 0.311", so a 0.308" in a Nagant may or may not work. But I've seen a Carcano shoot MOA with 0.264" projectiles ... which are 0.004" undersized for the Carcano bore. Must say ... it's quite off putting sitting with a modern scoped rifle and watching your mate shoot MOA groups with an open sighted $80 "tomato stake" lol
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course you can shoot .308 in .311 bore, but you will have more gas flowing pass the bullet than usually and it may erode grooves faster.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hacksawtom:
But I've seen a Carcano shoot MOA with 0.264" projectiles ... which are 0.004" undersized for the Carcano bore. .Con

Absolutely on the money. Been there done that.

OH! !Only know what others have told me or I've read but slugging the 7.62x54s can be miss leading because the bores and the lands diameters are not consistant through the length of the barrel.

Besides if it shoots it , it shoots it. The result of useing tells the story . The rest is just information, good or bad. homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BK9954....do you have your press kit already?

Is the Wolf Gold reloadable boxer primed brass?

And finally .....is the rifle your only Mosin?

I am a collector Finn and Russian Mosins.I`ve shot a bunch of them and prefer my loads to surplus and factory by far without question.

I have a couple press kits...Lyman and Lee both are good machines.And a starting reloader would be best to use a press and dies...I reckon.

But if you already have some reloading skills don`t overlook the LeeLoader for bolt or single shot.It is by far one of the funnest things to do... load and shoot at the range.Every time I use one I like them more and more.A mobile press!Check some of my other posts on the tool.Very educational tool.I have shot one Lapua 7.62x53R brass case 10 times in a row and the case was still in great condition.Have done the same with 223,243,6.5x55,270,30-06,and 45-70 and Win or Rem brass.Don`t know the quality of Wolf brass however or if it`s truly boxer primed.I can only speak for Lapua brass and it is good stuff in 7.62x53R.I like Varget by Hodgdon for Mosin and a lot of other calibers also.Pretty useful powder for a lot of calibers by the way.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.By the way that is a neat buck.What caliber if I may ask.

Mick

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote