Notify
Tools

Brownells sues Midway USA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here's Midway's side of the story on their web site:
http://www.midwayusa.com/lawsuit.htm

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Anyone have Brownells side of the story?

one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Brownells has a "side of the story" to tell. It appears they do not. All I really know is my opinion - This thing is asinine ! How many catalogs follow similar formats? Jeez ! Does Time sue Newsweek because their formats are similar? Does Boeing sue Airbus because their planes look like a tube, have four engines and two wings? What a bunch of crap ! The fact that this has caused the delay or possibly elimination of NRA endowments only exaberates the situation ! GROW UP Brownells, or present some valid reasons - other than it may cost you business! If it does - well guess what - welcome to Capatilism. Can't cut it? Become more competitive with REAL business methods - something that will attract business rather than drive it away !

BTW - Does anyone know if any of the other distributors (Midsouth, Natchez, etc.) contribute in this fashion to the NRA? It makes me want to steer more business towards Midway !

Time to cut the crap, [Mad]

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
If Midway's description of the suit is accurate, I'd be thoroughly annoyed at Brownells. In-fighting we surely don't need. Catalog layout, my ass.

Oddly, although I've ordered from both companies for many years, I've found myself buying elsewhere just because their prices have gotten so high.

My two cents, worth every penny.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Actually, catalog layout is a "patentable" and or "copyrightable" item.

I don't know the merits of the suit but to dismiss it out of hand is probably inappriate on our part.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
It does sound as if Brownells is being petty. However Midways defense statement to their customers seems petty as well. A poorly written attempt to sway public opinion to their side. Stating the facts and letting me make my own decision would be more effective than telling me how evil Brownells is and how angelic they are. dempsey

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who orders from Midway thinking it is Brownells (or vice versa) shouldn't own firearms. [Roll Eyes]

Eddie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that unless we have the complete story on both sides that we are not even really entitled to an opinion! Sounds kind of like what many of the gun controllers like to do - speak out when they don't really know what is going on!!!

<6.5 Guy>
posted
My take on it is athat it was totally unnecessary on Midway's part to post any information on this lawsuit, unless they are trying to get exactly the reaction they've gotten from some people. (i.e. "I'm not shopping at Brownell's anymore")

Pretty lame on thier part, if you ask me. If you were being sued, would you post it on the internet for the world to see?

one of us
posted Hide Post
anyone really care?

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
My personal opinion is that it is a push in who can be the biggest chickensh##. With the win going to Potterfield with room to spare.

"we can't contribute to the NRA because we got sued". Bull. Who pays the NRA roundup? Right. We do. To pull the fund is pure, political ankle biting.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Midway, but the fact that they refuse to put any "customer review" on the web that doesn't praise an item into the sky ticks me off. Then this attempt to play the heart strings. Booo hooo hooo hooo.

Fact is, there is a reason Potterfield chose the same layout as Brownells. He pushed the issue, and got his fingers smacked. Now, he's crying, running to Mama. Well, sorry, Mama ain't home. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought a lot of stuff from Midway over the years. Their prices have gradually risen to where it is substancially cheaper to buy from most of their competitors. Still I bought from Larry out of "customer loyalty" and convenience until it finally got to me. On one page he was not making expenses and begging for business and then the next page showed him and/or his wife on some exotic hunting expedition that I nor any of my friends will ever be able to afford. Does that bug anyone but me. I'm all for free enterprise and spend it if you got it, just don't beg and flaunt on oppisite sides of the same page. MBK

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbk:
I have bought a lot of stuff from Midway over the years. Their prices have gradually risen to where it is substancially cheaper to buy from most of their competitors. Still I bought from Larry out of "customer loyalty" and convenience until it finally got to me. On one page he was not making expenses and begging for business and then the next page showed him and/or his wife on some exotic hunting expedition that I nor any of my friends will ever be able to afford. Does that bug anyone but me. I'm all for free enterprise and spend it if you got it, just don't beg and flaunt on oppisite sides of the same page. MBK

Gentlemen,
I have to agree with mbk. On my last order from Midway, I got screwed on the shipping. The freight charges seemed excessive for the weight, I've ordered for many years from Midway but not anymore unless I have to. MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DD>
posted
mbk---- no, you are not the only one that is bothered by Potterfield's little tacky trick!! I'm still sitt'n on that thorn!---DD

<centerpunch>
posted

[ 06-15-2002, 03:46: Message edited by: centerpunch ]

one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Who gives a rats ass? Maybe they should each just drop the prices to match their competition. The NRA contribution gimmick is just ridiculous. That money should come right after the tithe to the church, and come "off the top" if it was very improtant to Midway.

JMHO

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got to go with the growing sentiment here. This is a BS move on the side of Midway. I got a new catalog last night, & when I saw the "we can't afford the NRA" stuff, I couldn't believe it.

And yeah, I've been noticing that "we're losing money, barely able to feed the kids" line, and then seeing them posing in Africa, or on a bird hunt with an expensive double, etc.

Potterfield, suck it up, spend your day in court, let them fall where they may.

The court of public opinion may soon be back biting him in the butt.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I'll say this. The first time I got Midway's "gunsmithing" catalog, the first thing I mentioned to my gunsmith buddy was "Gee, it looks just like a Brownells catalog." I mean, it was THAT obvious. So, if such things are subject to litigation, Brownells has a point -- and I think it's pretty clear that Potterfield knew exactly what he was doing. He could have chosen any other format if he wanted to be competitive. He didn't. He "took" someone else's format and used it.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Reminds me,of "Celebrity Death Match". It will be a chickenshit exchange of accusations,until it is revealed that both truly are chickenshit(like Joe Average didn't know THAT),then the Competition will begin to swallow them up. The door is now wide open,for a standup Competitor,to take the reins.

The only time I traded with Midway,was when they paid the freight and that helped on bulk bullet purchases(or so I told my Wife). I don't shop Brownell's,unless forced,as they are sky high in their pricing. Alternate vendors get a minimum of 95% of my business,the other 5% is spent begrudgingly.

If I'm in the mood to read "The Enquirer",I simply purchase a copy. These are two grownup companies,who have opted to sling mud,in order to take profits from themselves(I wonder who the "geniuses" are,behind these decisions?). I find humor in that ignorance and hope the Competitors are paying attention,on how NOT to lose the Shooting Public's respect and business.

Never could stand a whiner...............

[ 05-31-2002, 08:44: Message edited by: Big Stick ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
And do not forget Brownell's outrageous pricing on optics. What kind of !##@! fool would purchase a Leupold Var-X II 3x9 for $432.10? Both companies stink in my opinion. MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Childish on both sides...but Brownell's threw the first punch. Their claim to "own" the format of the catalog is nonsense when you consider how widely the format is used. I suspect they will regret the lawsuit. Midway is shamelessly using the NRA funding issue to make Brownell's look bad. They could instead move forward and make themselves look really good! But children don't usually think that way...

Tim

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where are the other companies that carry the same products? Is there a web index or would any one care to post some names and links of alternate vendors. If Brownells and Midway can afford to play their silly little games they have too much of my money. I would gladly spend it with someone else......But who?

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI -- Brownell's participates in the NRA Round-Up also.

Personally I buy from whoever has what I want at the best price (or whoever I'm buying a bunch of other stuff, saves shipping). I figure they can sort out their problems amongst themselves.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Who are some other suppliers of gunsmithing products and parts?

-Mike

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Hoghead>
posted
I quit buying from Midway when they started charging a "small order fee" for orders under a certain amount. I e-mailed them and told them so. They e-mailed me back real promptly and gave me some cock and bull srory about how it cost them over a million dollars a year to ship small orders. (orders under $40 I think was the figure)I then e-mailed them back and told them they were full of s#%t. I have done what I said, I have not bought one cents worth of product from them since. I never will.

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I've been buying stuff from Graf & Sons lately (www.grafs.com).

Their prices include freight and they participate in the NRA Round-Up, as well. But like John, I'll be an opportunist and buy from just about anybody with a good price!

I quit Midway when they went to charging freight and tried to convince me it was better for me!! How nice of them to consider my economic well being...

Tim

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Who are some other suppliers of gunsmithing products and parts?

-Mike

I'm not so sure about an alternative source for mainly gunsmithing products (like Brownells carries) but here are some alternative vendor choices for the types of things that Midway USA carries:

Huntington's
http://www.huntingtons.com/

Lock, Stock & Barrel
http://www.Lockstock.com/

Midsouth Shooters Supply
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Natchez Shooters Supply
http://www.natchezss.com/

Sinclair International
http://www.sinclairintl.com/

Graf & Sons
http://www.grafs.com/

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought anything from Brownells,their prices on everything I'v looked at are rediculous.I buy from various distributors depending on what I'm purchasing at the time. I buy brass and bullets at Midway,optics are cheaper thru Natchez,Bear Creek, Wilson products thru Sinclairs.If you think Midway has overcharged you for shipping let them know about it. I recieved a letter from them a few months ago stating that they had overcharged me (shipping) and at my request I could have it returned either by check or receive a credit. I had'nt even noticed it! As for gunsmithing supplys,you can usually go to the co.s website and find a dealer near you.

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Brownell vs Midway thing isn't a great PR move for either one, but they both have great service.

If you get dealer pricing from Brownells their prices are OK and I've never found another source with as many products avaible. I ordered #4 Douglas blank Tuesday of last week and UPS put it in my hands 48 hrs. later.... could have bought the same blank from Douglas at the same price.....only have to wait a month or two to get it. CSJ

Posts: 88 | Location: Winchester Ky. USA | Registered: 04 January 2002Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
I have been orering from Graf and Sons lately. Sinclaire is also an exceptional company to deal with. They both outclass midway in every category. Brownells has things that I can't find anywhere else. I stopped buying from midway when they started screwing us on the shipping!

<Rezdog>
posted
I used to regularly receive the Midway reloading catalog but haven't gotten one in several months in spite of repeated requests. Seems they're so busy ginning up new catalogs that they've lost track of the monthly catalogs for regular customers. Hey... No Problem! I have catalogs from a half dozen of their competitors and am finding prices and services just as good. I read their web-site statement re: the lawsuit with Brownell's and wonder just what the hell the lawsuit has to do with any NRA issues???

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think both sides need a spanking followed by a diaper change. On just about every item I've shopped for Midway's prices are higher than most other distributors; Brownell's are even higher. Maybe they'll both go under. Midsouth gets 90 percent of my business anyway. All I see the lawsuit accomplishing is making a few lawyers richer.

Eddie

[ 06-05-2002, 15:58: Message edited by: Eddie ]

<Powderman>
posted
I used to buy a lot of stuff from Midway, until they started charging for the shipping. Now I have alternative points of sale for the stuff I buy by mail order, which are mostly reloading components.

www.gibrass.com is the place to go for military surplus projectiles and powder. They also have really good prices on military cases, too. If you're looking for military components, this is the place.

www.wideners.com offers a really good selection of reloading components, too. I also ordered some M1 Garand clips from them when I could not find them anywhere else. Good prices, too. Beware, though--it takes $100.00 or more in a purchase to qualify for free shipping, and cast bullets are not included!

I'm still hooked on Brownell's, though. I use tons of Marvelux, and Acra-Weld has a special place in my heart. It's great stuff, and I love the catalogs!