New
Find
Notify
Tools

BC of Remington Core-Lokt bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In particular, I would like to know the ballistic coefficient of a Remington 30 caliber (.308" dia.) 150 grain core-lokt (sp?) pointed soft point bullet.

Thanks,

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Around 0.193 to 0.314 depending on velocity.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I FINALLY got the number 0f 0.314 from Remington for use at 30-06 velocities.
It took me 5 letters before I final cajoled them into giving up the information!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, Louis,

Thanks.

Is the 0.193 figure the subsonic BC?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry, I would assume the .193 number is in the transonic range, the regime of highest drag. Mach .7 - 1.3 +/-

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
In particular, I would like to know the ballistic coefficient of a Remington 30 caliber (.308" dia.) 150 grain core-lokt (sp?) pointed soft point bullet.

H. C.

You can estimate the BC of federal, winchester, and remington by compareing the charts in their free ammo ballistics tables with a chart in the speer and/or hornady reloading manuals.

OR: for rifle bullets, look at the energy levels of a load using the bullet of interest. Estimate the range that gives 1/2 the muzzle energy. The distance in yards will be the same as the BC (add the decimal point). This only works when the velocitys stay above the speed of sound.

In the case of the 'pointed soft point core lock' (in .308), muzzle energy is 2648 with 300 yard energy being 1344 (& 400 yard energy is 1048). 1/2 of 2648 (1324) will happen just more than 300 yards (BC is just more than .300)

To refine you can interpolate by taking 1344 minus 1048 (296) and 1344 minus 1324 (20). 20 divided by 296 gives .07, hence a more accurate BC of .307.

If I recall, I seldom see measured BC's closer than 10% of advertised values so don't get to excited about extremely accurate values.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Jerry, thanks for that information. I have never seen it before. Your formula is certainly interesting! I will keep it for future use. (I note Sierra pretty much stopped publishing their bullets' B.C.s because the figures vary so much depending on velocity.)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
.314 as listed in thier '05 catalog ballistics charts.

Have a Great Day and God Bless

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote